Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I could really use some guidance with my HP Photosmart 5510 printer- thank you very, very much to anyone able to help.

I've had the printer since last July, and it's been working just fine since then, but a week ago it stopped connecting to my laptop. [Runs Windows 7]

All of my other devices are connecting to the router just fine.

When I try to scan, it says that "Scan to computer is currently available," and the printer tells me that it cannot communicate with the computer whenever I try to print.

MAC address filtering is not enabled on the router [I checked], so that's not the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas that I could try?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Download and install the newest full featured software and drivers from the HP web site here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5063582

Best to set a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router.  Use a fixed channel like 1,6 or 11 never 'auto'.  Now try.

HP Recommended

i dont know how to connect my photosmart 5510 series printer to my wireless laptop. could you please help me.

HP Recommended

Since the printer is already working with other devices, an IP address should exist.

Printer a Self Test Page

Check for IP Address and take note of it.

Go to computer, press and hold WinLogo + R and Run window will come up.

Type "cmd" and click OK.

Command Prompt will come up with a black window.

Type ping<space>(Printer's IP Address found on the report)

You'll be getting any of these replies:

Request timed out. - (it means this computer is connected to a different network)

Destination host unreachable. - (it means, computer and printer is connected to same network but not communicating)

Reply ..... (with byte values w/c is a good sign! There's a communcation between computer and printer.)

If it's request timed out, make sure that the printer is connected on the same network as the computer that you're workin' at. If computer is connected to Guest Network, it'll be impossible.

If it's destination host unreachable, restarting all devices including the router will needed.  Then after that, try pinging again and it might give a positive reply. 🙂

If it's already giving you a good reply, then there's should be no problem with the communication.  The problem will just be on the software.  Try downloading Print and Scan doctor at this link: www.hp.com/go/tools . Im pretty sure that Print and scan doctor will tell you if you dont have the full feature SW and will let you download it for a perfect solution.

I know this one is resolvable since it's perfectly working with other devices. Better if you take note of other errors that you'll encounter so we can add additional steps.

I'll be checking on it.

HP Recommended

thank-you for your help. I was able to connect my printer to my laptop successfully.

HP Recommended

I turned my computor and my printer off and moved them for about two days , now i have turned them on again but the printer says it is not connected to my computor can you help please

HP Recommended
Moved them? Moved them where? Do you still have your router to connect to? Are you connected to your router? Check the printers status.
HP Recommended

Yes I am connected to a router and the printer is on,and it prints a test page but it's just not connecting to my computer

HP Recommended
Please print out the Network config sheet from the printer and post the status here.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.