Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I suggest you do as I did and throw that HP printer in the trash.  I purchased a cannon MG3222 for $70 and have not had a problem with replacing cartridges.  Since HP will not be accountable for this obvious flaw I have chosen to bite the bullet but I will NEVER purchase another HP product.

Frank Brzyski

HP Recommended

Interesting update.  Being stubborn like I am, I took the non working 5514 and put it in the basement instead of immediatley pitching it.  Still cannot believe it just stopped printing black.   A few weeks go by, I decide it is time to take it to the dump.  What the heck, lets put power back on and give it a try.  Holy crap, printer works perfectly.  Fortunately the replacement printer I purchased uses the same cartridges, so now I have a working backup just in case I get stuck again.

HP Recommended

Hi Bad-Printer,

I understand you're having issue with the black ink not printing with your Photosmart 5514 printer. I'm sorry to hear this has been happening but would like to offer some help.

I did see from your post that you have tried many steps already, so I'd like to include this document for you that has many steps to help resolve the black not printing. Often just doing them in this specific order can help as well. If you reach the end of the document and are still having the same issue, it would be best to contact HP Tech Support for your area and inquire what options they have for your printer.

I hope this helps, have a great day!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Amen.
HP Recommended
And HP knows these are defective but didn't do a recall because they were just waiting for our warranties to run out.
HP Recommended
Amen, Frank. Notice that HP didn't do a recall on the defective product. When you search the help forums there are THOUSANDS of people with the same issue. HP just waited for the warranty to run out and force us to purchase another printer (plus all the $65 in ink we wasted doing their "troubleshooting").
HP Recommended

I am having the very same issue wit hmy HP Photosmart 5514.  All of my color print cartridges are working fine but the black one refuses to work.  I've tried two NEW ones with no success.  I've cleaned the print heads.  I've even done 'clean print smear,' whatever that means.  FRUSTRATED.  It's expensive to mess around with brand new print cartridges and find they do not work.  Whom do I call / what do I do?  If this is honestly a problem that thousands have experienced, then HP needs to recall this machine.

HP Recommended

Hi there compu-mom

Do you know if the printer is still within warranty? Typically it's a year from date of purchase but you can check by entering the serial no. below....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/weInput?cc=ie&lc=en

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Okay, so this is what I did since the print head cannot be removed to soak it and HP just runs you around in circles.

Get a piece of plastic tubing tubing kind of like fish tank tubing but fatter. You can get it at Lowe's or a farm supply store.  The tubing I used was 1/2" OD & 3/8" OD. I cut a length about 4" long. you have to make sure the cut is smooth or it won't seal around the nozzle.

You will also need a syringe without the needle. I used a 3cc. You can get these in the pharmacy.

You are gonna need paper towels. I suggest that you wear gloves and have a plastic trash bag handy to throw the messy towels in.

Open the hatch like you are changing ink. Now UNPLUG the printer and USB (you don't want to get fried). Remove the ink cartridges.  Now you have to slide the ink carriage to the left. Fold up a paper towel so it will fit UNDER the ink carriage and stuff it in the groove by the rollers. Now slide the ink carriage back to the right so it is on top of the paper towel. Fill the syringe with windex or diluted ammonia (I used diluted ammonia). Fit the syringe into the end of the tube. Place the tube over the black ink nozzle on the print head and make sure it is sealed. You will have to hold it in place. SLOWLY sqeeze the ammonia solution into the tube from the syringe. This should dislodge and dissolve any clogs in the nozzle. Wait a couple minutes and slide the print head back to the left. You may repeat the process (hey, while you are in there, you might as well, right?).

Now you will need about a dozen paper towels and some windex or ammonia to clean up all the gooey ink in the parking station. You won't be able to get it all, but try to get the majority. There are some little rubber blades that wipe the ink nozzles... they are kind of stuffed back in on the right hand side... wipe what you can but be gentle.

Now that your hands are black and fingernails are disgusting, it is time to see if your effort paid off. Make sure you have all the moisture wiped up and all the paper towels out of the printer. Snap the ink back in to the correct spots. Plug USB & power back in. When it quits cycling (wasting more of your ink) run your test page or print quality report. It should be working now! It will at least work long enough to use up that $50 worth of ink you bought when you were touble shooting. Next time you are feeling rich you can buy a Brother.

HP Recommended

I too followed all the diagnostic tips with no success. I will have to purchase a new printer and it won't be a HP. I'm disappointed that there is not a solution to this common problem. The black printer cartridge was only replaced once. I will never purchase another HP product again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.