Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

So, I just tried to print a pciture and it came out with none of the black in it. Thinking that obviously the cart was out, I put in a new one. However, it still won't print any black even with a new cart installed.
Note that I recently had the printer unplugged over spring break. Im not sure if that might cause some sort of bug or something. I am running this on Mac OS 10.7.3.

128 REPLIES 128
HP Recommended

Hey there. Have you printed a Print Quality Diagnostic Report yet? If not, try print one to see if you get any black. Heres how:

1. Load plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the tray.

2. From the control panel home screen, touch the Right Arrow ( ), and then touch the Setup icon ( ).

3. Touch Tools , and then touch Print Quality Report . A Print Quality Diagnostic Report prints.

Also are you using a Windows computer or Mac? Here is a very in-depth article that helps with print quality issues. Walk through that and see if it resolves the issue. If not let me know and we can go from there.

Good luck Robot Very Happy

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Im having the same issue, upon printing test sheet black did not print out at all. Im using a desktop pc instead of a mac

HP Recommended

@CaseyAdlerHere is a link to a document that addresses black missing in printouts for your model of printer. It will give one troubleshooting steps to try in an attempt to fix the quality output issue that  you are having with the printer. I hope that this helps. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue.  My printer is just over 6 mos old and the ink cartridges that came with it just ran out.  I installed 4 genuine, brand new HP cartridges (black xl, yellow, cyan, magenta) this morning and no black is printing.  I just spent the last two hours combing through HP's online help and running through all of the diagnostics for this issue and the problem still persists.  I'm pretty unhappy that I just spent $$$ on all new ink only to have it not work. 

HP Recommended

@ ShannonR , If you have the Photosmart 5514 and have done all of the step listed in the above document, I would call into HP Total Care for further assistance. Since the printer is less than a year old that entitles you to free support under the factory warranty. 

I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call. HP Technical Support Case Call Form: https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/phoneInput?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5061082

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

Has anyone figured this out? I am very upset with this product. I JUST bought all brand new ink this morning, and no black is showing up. Sounds like the ink head is clogged/defective. My husband was able to dismantle the printer and I cleaned the part where the ink cartridges sit...it was full of sticky black ink. What a waste of $$...it seemed to me that we were going threw ink a LOT faster than the older model we had. I spoke with someone on the phone and they were no help at all, as I had done each trouble shooting step. My warranty JUST ran out...talk about timing..

HP Recommended

Even if your printer is out of warranty, if you have any problems with your new ink cartridges, calling in to speak with a live HP technical agent may be worth your time. New ink cartridges don't expire for a couple years and an agent can help determine if you need a replacement cartridge or if it is a different problem.  

However, rsteckly, it sounds like you had a bad experience with technical support.  😞  If you have done all of the troubleshooting steps then it is likely a problem with the printhead being clogged or something along those lines (depending on what was determined after you finished all the steps).  Have you seen Bob_headrick's thread called "Black Ink Not Working?"  I wanted to suggest this step for you just in case you haven't tried this yet.  It seems to have a rather high success rate if it is a printhead problem.  

I really hope this helps you! Let me know if it works.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended
What to do
HP Recommended

MY HP 5514 STOPPED PRINTING BLACK EVEN WITH NEW CARTRIDGE

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.