Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Same story as others here. I'm working on the "no black print" issue for a client's HP 5514 Model B111h printer. I went through ALL of the steps on the HP forums and even ran through ink cartridgers runninhg multiple head cleaning through teh HP software. I ordered new official HP ink and also the printhead hospital cleaning kit from http://www.printheadhospital.co.uk/hp-printhead-cleaning-kit.html  and STILL no luck even after using the kit after THREE applications of the cleaning solution. Still no black. The printhead is non-removable so you can't even manually remove it to soak or run  it under hot/warm water to remove any clogging in the heads. What a total piece of garbabe this printer is. I went here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/weInput?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&tmp_weCountry=&tmp_weSerial=&tmp_wePro... confirmed that the printer is OUT OF WARRANTY. This is the second HP printer I've encountered with this issue (first was the HP Oficejet 6500). I will recommend to all of my clients in search of printers, NOT to choose HP.  This is just totally ridiculous! How can a company release a product like this? And with such an overwhelming issue, the product warranty should surely be extended for  the unlucky purchasers of the 5510/5514 models. But by the responses from HP, they seem content to point you to their troubleshooting webpage, which every person with a brain has already tried, likely multiple times. 

HP Recommended

The printhead mechanism on this model is non-removable. However, if you feel brave, there are printhead removal instructions here:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/HP-Photosmart-5510-Print-Head-Removal/...

HP Recommended

Hi nixfan226,

I appreciate all your troubleshooting efforts you have completed already, and understand your frustration.  I would like to look into this for you, can you please let me know which Country/Region  you are in?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

D041155,

I appreciate the troubleshooting you have done already, I need you to make sure you have completed ALL steps listed here:  Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages

If you are still running into the problem, please let me know which Country/Region you are in as well as your Warranty Status: Click here to find out

Thank you, 

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

We have done all the steps. Ran the cleaning tool multiple times. Serial number comes up blank when you check warrenty. It is at least 3 years old so it is out of warrenty. We maybe print 30-50 pages a month so we have not printed a ton of pages with this printer. We live in St. Louis, MO, USA. Thanks, Lee

HP Recommended

D041155,

Thank you for the requested information. I have sent you a Private message on the Forums, go to your Userpage to the right of your Username you will see you inbox.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
I'm in the NY, USA
HP Recommended

nixfan226,

Thank you for the requested information. I have sent you a Private message on the Forums, please go to your Userpage to the right of your Username you will see your inbox.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

From the amount of posts on this issue, it appears to be a VERY common practice with current HP printers... within the first year or two, the black ink clogs up and will not print. The "clean print head" options on the printer don't accomplish anything.

I tried all of the suggestions -- even opened two NEW black cartridges -- and the wet paper towel wiping on the print head screen -- nothing!

So even though I've only put "genuine" HP cartridges in my printer -- and paid the cost that goes along with that -- that does not assure me that I can have a reliable printer.

On one of the of the other threads, someone actually marked the issue as "solved" when the person with the printer was so frustrated that that gave up and bought another printer! That was the SOLUTION!

If this is a significant issue with HP printers, then HP needs to own it and issue recalls for the printers that are affected.

My previous loyalty to HP is misplaced, I guess. My third HP laptop had a hard drive failure after only 9 months. I replaced that drive, but then the computer CPU died when it was just over two years old. It is sad.

My current printer is my third HP printer. I gave away my first one because the print cartridges were so expensive and NEVER came down in price (black ink - $35 for an ink jet!). My second one I gave to my daughter, but she says she is having problems with print cartridges now, too.

My current one is not very old... it should not need to be replaced already. Very sad!

HP Recommended

Same issue, this is our 3rd HP printer.  Black ink just bought, actually the entire kit for over $55.00.  And the black is not printing at all.  I have followed the steps to troubleshoot the issue.  It's just a fact, HP printers are crap!  I'll be looking for a laser printer now, and will pass anything with an HP logo.  Thanks for nothing!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.