Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have installed a new Photosmart 5520 and it works fine when printing (wireless) from my Windows laptop. However, my Ipad (Air, IOS7.1) can not find the printer. What I have checked:

• Installed latest firmware on the 5520
  • Restarted router, printer and ipad
  • Wifi connection of the 5520 is to the same network SSID as the ipad
  • Bonjour is supported on my router (EnGenius 750H); installed the Bounjour Browser on my laptop and it finds my Synology Diskstation, but it does not see any Bonjour services for the 5520. The multicast option on my router is enabled.
  • Checked all five solutions in this troubleshooter: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02623193

Any other ways to get this working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Frank1966,

We have two last things to check. 

Please ensure that IPv4 is turned off and that the Bonjour port is set to 9100.  You can do both of these from the embedded web server of the printer (see screen shots).  If changing those settings does not resolve the issue, I would review your setup as I believe the Diskstation might be the source of the issue.

2014-04-14 P1102w set static ip screen shot.jpg

2014-04-14 Bonjour 9100.JPG

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi Frank1966,

Thank you for being a member of the HP Support forums and the detailed post. I do appreciate it.  I gather that you are unable to print from your iPad to your Photosmart 5520.

Please rerun the Wireless Setup Wizard from the front panel of the printer. It will walk you through connecting the printer to a network. If you are unsure how to do this, the instructions can be found in your User Guide on page 32 in the section titled “To connect the product with the Wireless Setup Wizard”.

I’ve included a post by Shirlzz1 that discusses if the router can support Bonjour communication.  It will prompt you to download an app to your iPad to confirm whether the router supports Bonjour. I know you said you’ve checked by installing the Bonjour browser on your computer. Let’s download the app to the iPad to double check.

Please let me know if the above doesn’t resolve the situation.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I have rerun the wireless setup wizard, which completed successfully. Like before, I am able to print from my Windows laptop. I have checked with the Discovery Bonjour Browser on the ipad and it reports Bonjour services from my Synology Diskstation, but not from the HP Photosmart 5520. I am still unable to print directly from my ipad. For completeness, I have also checked with my iphone 5s (also on ios 7.1), but that is also unable to print via Airprint on the 5520.

HP Recommended

Hi Frank1966,

Thank you for the update.  I appreciate it.

Please try turning the multi-casting off on your router.  Once you have made that change, please restart the router, printer and the computer.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi happytohelp01, I have disabled mutlicasting, restarted the router, printer and ipad. Result was the same, ipad could not find any Airprinter. The Discovery Bonjour Browser only found my Diskstation.

HP Recommended

Hi Frank1966,

Thank you for the update.

Is router running on the 5GHz frequencies?  If so please switch it to one of the 2.4 GHz frequencies and try again.   I’ve included the ESR750H Router Specifications for reference.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Happytohelp01 ,

I have 2 separate networks on that router, one on 5 GHz and one on 2.4 GHz. These networks have different SSID's, so I can manage what device is connecting on what band. The 5520 does not support 5 GHz, so it is connected to the 2.4 GHz SSID. The ipad and iphone are also connected to the 2.4 GHz network.

I have also tried to disable and re-enable the bonjour function in the network tab of the printer's webpage, but that also didn't help.

HP Recommended

Hello Frank1966,

Thank you for keeping me updated. 

I’m going to ask you turn on the Wireless Direct with no security from the front panel of the printer. Once the printer is broadcasting its own network, please check your iPad to see if it sees the printer’s network.  If it can see the network being broadcast to your printer, then we know the printer’s hardware is working and there is something in your network setup (I suspect the Diskstation) that is preventing you from connecting to the printer.  

If you are unsure how to connect to the printer, the instructions can be found in your User Guide on page 33, in the section titled “To connect wirelessly to the printer without a router”.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Happytohelp01,

I am able to connect with my ipad to the printer's wirelesss direct network. I don't know what is the use of that, since it doesn't allow me to print anything from the ipad. But at least it shows that the printer's wireless network hardware is working, although I already knew that, since the whole setup is working fine when printing from my (Windows) laptop, even when that laptop is connected to my router through 5 GHz and the printer through 2.4 GHz.

HP Recommended

Hi Frank1966,

Thank you for the additional information.

We are at the last steps to try.  If these don’t work then you’ll need to figure out where the issue lies within your network setup. Please start by ensuring the iPad has all its updates.  I’ve included the Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch document from Apple.  Once the iPad is up-to-date, please connect to the printer’s wireless direct network and try to print something from the Notes app.  If that prints successfully then there is definitely something in your network setup that is preventing the iPad from printing.

Regards,
Happytohelp

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.