Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6525
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently changed the connection from my printer to the computer from WiFi to USB.  Now my printer is powering off after short periods of inactivity.  No other modifications / changes were made that I am aware of.  I've done everything I can think of to see if there is a "setting" for "power off", but I can't find one.  Does anyone know what to do to fix this, and/or why it didn't do this when connected via WiFi?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@LHilly

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the printer turns off on its own at times,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Changing the internet setup shouldn't affect the power supply of your printer, however, there could be an issue with the power adapter, hence did you try with an alternate adapter?

Have you checked with any related HP forum posts to resolve your concern?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

(Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern).

If the issue persists, try the below steps:

Step 1: Change the energy settings (optional)

Your HP printer is designed to reduce power consumption when the printer is not active. Auto Power Off or Schedule On and Off enables the printer to turn off after two hours of inactivity. When you are ready to use your printer again, press the Power button to turn the printer back on.

Check the Schedule On and Off or Auto Power Off feature on the printer's control panel or through the software, depending on your printer model.

Step 2: Restart the printer

Restarting the printer might resolve any connectivity error states.

Step 3: Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases printer updates. Updating the printer firmware might resolve the issue.

Step 4: Plug the printer directly into a power outlet

If the printer is plugged into a power strip or surge protector, the printer might not be getting enough power to properly function. To resolve the issue, plug the printer into a wall outlet.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.