Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

For a few months now I have had to replace my black cartridge once a week due to ink leaking or being released out the bottom and onto my desk and blotted on paper. This is crazy to go through so much ink. I don't want to buy a new printer buy surly can't afford to keep buying ink. It only does it with the black I always buy HP ink never refill so I don't understand what could have happened.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Kendy,

If you are buying new ink every week for several months, you might be already close to paying for a new Printer. 

I have this model printer -- it is a nice printer; it is NOT supposed to leak ink - not from anywhere.

This is a sad situation.  :Crying:

You might call HP about this -- you need to talk to a Technician:

Contact HP – USA - Phone Assistance

List of

HP tech support/ Customer Service Phone Numbers – Some English Speaking Countries

Including UK and Europe

You might want to have your receipts handy to help detail how long this has been going on...

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You!

And...Click Accept as Solution when my Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!

I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Kendy,

If you are buying new ink every week for several months, you might be already close to paying for a new Printer. 

I have this model printer -- it is a nice printer; it is NOT supposed to leak ink - not from anywhere.

This is a sad situation.  :Crying:

You might call HP about this -- you need to talk to a Technician:

Contact HP – USA - Phone Assistance

List of

HP tech support/ Customer Service Phone Numbers – Some English Speaking Countries

Including UK and Europe

You might want to have your receipts handy to help detail how long this has been going on...

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You!

And...Click Accept as Solution when my Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!

I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
I bought a new printer! The head is broken costs more to fix then printer is worth! Thanks for responding!
HP Recommended

IMG_5275.JPG

Hello and thanks ..

I'm working on mom's printer. Having similar trouble. They have printed probably 5 regular type sheets and 10 photos and the darn printer seems to hemorrhage ink.. this has been going on for a while.. but i hadn't looked on the inside before today.

the Diagnostic says the regular black ( uses 2 black and 3 color cartridges) is getting low and they just put a new one in 15 pages ago..

I found where i think the ink is going ( see photo up loaded) but I don't know what the fix is?

It seems to be emptying in the "rest stop" It is covered with ink , and is splattered along the inside all around that area

the screen heads that the cartridge clip's into are clean and don't have dried ink on them.

we have run diagnostics.. head cleaning .

I would like to take that part out and ?? clean or wring it out.. but i'm asking you first..

HP Recommended
Hello ,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please allow up to 48-72 hours for a response from one of our HP Agents. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you have already resolved your matters, please disregard this message. 

Thank you 
Duane_D

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended

Still having problems.. 

5 days ago mom put in a new ink cartriage .

She tried to print out a B/W typed page.  I couldnt read it .. there were some black smudges on the page but not able to make out the letter.  

when ask to analyize the ink levels the computer   show's that there is at least 1/2 full or nore on both of them ( today)

however when printing the cartriage test / after cleaning /  the regular black cartriage porting of the test page is faint or  even missing  ( ie the page is 1/2 white  where it should have shades of black)  on the 2 tests i ran yesterday.

Mom says what she usually does is pchs a new ink and install and that helps. 

so I went to walmart   and got the ink ( 25$)   

At 25$ a week .. this is really bad!  

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help..

I got an email and a phone call from some one, and she is sending a new printer!! wow best customer support transaction i've ever had..  I guess a picture does say a thousand words.. 

This was handled Fast.. once we posted here 

Thanks to every one..

Debra

HP Recommended

I just wanted to let you know that .. thanks to your help and another that you refered me to, Mother has a new printer and is so very happy.  I only wish I'd gotten involved sooner.  

It appears that she had purchased the extended warranty and the new printer shipped in 2 days.  

What wonderful customer service and help.. often rare these days.

She now has an instaPrint machine and has been refering other's to get one too.

Thanks much for your help

Debra

HP Recommended

So how does one get help with this if you don't have an extended warranty?? Today I discovered ink leaking PROFUSELY when I was troubleshooting a jam. This has clearly been going on a while. After replacing ink WAY too often - and getting repeat messages that my genuine HP Photosmart ink cartridges were not the real thing (grrr) - I went back to ordering my prints online at Walgreens and Walmart because I didn't have time to look into the problem.

I decided to give it a go with all new ink cartridges and I ended up with a paper jam from the photo tray. I can see it inside just behind the ink cartridges. Even when I move them out of the way I can't find any moving parts or platen knobs to help ease the paper out. There is no way to even get a bit of it with a tool or fingernails. I read the how-to's and watched the video and when I got to the part about turning the printer around to check from the back I got a big surprise - black ink in a big gooey gob underneath the printer!! I am still wiping layers of it off of the desktop, the power cord, every nook and cranny on the entire bottom of the printer and now my hands. It just keeps coming. Not happy 😞

I still have a printer jam and BRAND NEW ink cartridges. Clearly I'm buying a new printer and I doubt it will be HP. It's too bad because I LOVED the quality of the prints and the convenience of printing from home.

Anyone want some cartridges?? Posting on the off chance there is an obvious solution I'm missing. Once I clear the jam there is still the matter of where, why and how the ink is leaking. Guessing that won't be obvious.

HP Recommended

What remidies are there for this problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.