Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a HP photosmart 5510. It is new. The Cyan is not printing. I have tried cleaning copper connectors, cleaning cartridges several times. Nothing is working. The cartridge has ink...and is the setup cartridge that came w/ the printer originally. The most it will print of the cyan is after cleaning on the test page it will print about a centimeter of striped cyan.

Do you think it is the printer or the ink cartridge? If I can not get a fix...I will have to return this printer.

HP Recommended

@chood704 wrote:

I have a HP photosmart 5510. It is new. The Cyan is not printing. I have tried cleaning copper connectors, cleaning cartridges several times. Nothing is working. The cartridge has ink...and is the setup cartridge that came w/ the printer originally. The most it will print of the cyan is after cleaning on the test page it will print about a centimeter of striped cyan.

Do you think it is the printer or the ink cartridge? If I can not get a fix...I will have to return this printer.

Is this the Photosmart 5510 b111a?  If so my bet would be a clogged vent on the cyan ink supply.  See the troubleshooting document here.  If that does not resolve the issue the post here may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

dear sir

i am having a problem with my hp photosmart c6180 .

when i print the quality is very bad

it looks that their are strips in the picture

although i am using the best paper quality

how can i solve this problem?

HP Recommended

@elie123 wrote:

dear sir

i am having a problem with my hp photosmart c6180 .

when i print the quality is very bad

it looks that their are strips in the picture

although i am using the best paper quality

how can i solve this problem? 

The troubleshooting page here may help resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

This procedure although sounds interesting does not work.  What IS interesting is that for those of us with a printer where magenta does not print (except for 2 cases) have a system where it is not the mechanical delivery of ink which is the problem, instead I believe it is the firmware which is the problem. Somewhere (and this is pure speculation on my part) we messed with something that HP does not like. For example, how many of the people in the list have removed the CMOS battery in the hope of resetting the dates on the ink cartridge ?

When I recovered this printer from the dump it worked.  But ink was low.  So I replaced the cyan ink and left it for many months.  After reviving it I printed an image and noticed massive over saturation of green on the photo I was trying to reproduce. After trying to realign and clean the ink nozzles (using the printer's controls) I lost magenta.

So I pulled out the CMOS battery on the right side of the printer to no avail.

I did notice that Magenta does print with one of the tests (that also prints a bird at the  bottom of the page) and more interestingly when I try to print an image with magenta without Colorsync, I get  no magenta.  If I try to print with colorsync it does print magenta.   Colorsync is an apple contrived color matching system which is selected from the print dialog.  I set up 3 boxes in word and filled them with various shades of red and magenta.  Using HPs (the default) color matching it prints NO magenta or red of any kind.  Using Colorsync it does -  although a very muddy color (due to the fact that I did not set up the word doc with colorsync).

So the printer mechanically knows how to pass magenta, but some **bleep** software somewhere is preventing it.  It also does not copy magenta or red.  So I have to believe it is in the firmware

Although it does not get me to the resolution of the problem folks may find it interesting that when you depress the * and # keys together and then enter 3-2-9 in sequence it brings up yet another menu which now can actually alter printer parameters like serial number, MAC addresses etc.  Unfortunately it does not solve this problem. It will print out some juicy information about your cartidges tho !

FInally it would be good if someone from HP answers this set of problems that users have had. At least that would go towards remediating the horror they bestowed on their customers with ink cartridges with an expiry date. HP what the hell were you thinking. Your ink is expensive enough without screwing your customers further.

HP Recommended

My printer is not printing or copying magenta or light magenta. I tried all of the solutions here (except for holding down # and 6 because I have a HP C8100). It still does not print correctly. Anything else I could try?

Tony

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and following the instructions didn't solved the problem. I also performed a "*"+"#" firmware control with the "noozle test" performed at this level and everything was fine!

The noozle can work. Why the self test page is not showing magenta and light magenta? The printer was stopped for a long time. I performed 3 times the noozle clean utility. As I told the noozle self test performed inside the printer (after the 123 code, etc) it perfect. 

Please update the solution...

Regards

Stefano

HP Recommended

I have an HP C5180 that also stopped printing the 2 Magenta inks. It had been idle for awhile as it stopped working, had it repaired with a new capacitor and it started working but I get all greenish yellow for colors. When I did the test page all colors showed except for the 2 Magentas. I added a laptop that is running Windows 7. I have brand new HP cartridges installed, I have cleaned the contacts as shown and it still does not recognize those 2 colors. Has anyone found a resolution? I hate to scrap this printer as I like it and have enough ink to last quite awhile.

HP Recommended

I have changed magenta cartridge but still will not print red

HP Recommended

I am having the same exact problem!  Took apart the whole printer, cleaned out the head and ink lines, and after putting it back together still won't print Magenta.  Re-installed the software too.  Anyone find a solution to this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.