Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My HP Photosmart C6180 has started doing a continuous restart loop with an error message saying improper shutdown. I have tried holding down # and 6 on startup to do a reset but this only resolves the issue for about 30 minutes.

I have read on other forums on the internet that this is due to faulty capacitor has anyone else managed to resolve this issue?

I have notice sevel other users seem to have this problem on the forum.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TTL79 wrote:

I have the same problem. Is there some way to fix it once and for all???

Hi there, yes I managed to fix my printer and it's all working normally again! However it was a bit complex - I had to take the circuit board out and replace the capacitors. I have put the instructions on this site below as a step-by-step method for fixing it.

http://www.roshgaind.com/?p=200

You will need to have a soldering iron, torx screw drivers and buy new capacitors. The whole process took about 1-2 hours, I have had limited experience with soldering but am familiar with taking apart computers.

Attempt at your own risk - soldering irons are very hot and may cause injury and if not done correctly this may permanently damage your printer. If in doubt please ask a service center to fix your printer or buy a new one.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I like other people have tried performing the # and 6 reset but when I turn the printer on after doing that it starts up and shutdown again randomly.

Here is another post with a similar issue: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-and/C6180-shutdowns-when-wirelessly-printing...

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@TTL79 wrote:

Hi there, yes I managed to fix my printer and it's all working normally again! However it was a bit complex - I had to take the circuit board out and replace the capacitors. I have put the instructions on this site below as a step-by-step method for fixing it.

http://www.roshgaind.com/?p=200

You will need to have a soldering iron, torx screw drivers and buy new capacitors. The whole process took about 1-2 hours, I have had limited experience with soldering but am familiar with taking apart computers.

Attempt at your own risk - soldering irons are very hot and may cause injury and if not done correctly this may permanently damage your printer. If in doubt please ask a service center to fix your printer or buy a new one.

HP Recommended

Having the same problem as previously dicussed. #6 restart only worked temporarily. Any ideas beyond the new capacitor solution listed?.....other than buy a new printer

Thanks

HP Recommended

I think it is time to buy a new printer.

HP Recommended

What is the latest in tech support with this improper shutdown message - I lost a job this past week because of this problem!!!!

Have been out of work almost a year and CANNOT print out my resume, cover letter, etc.  This printer is a brand new one sent to me to replace the one that broke under warranty - Guess I need to put ANOTHER new machine on my credit card although it will NEVER be a HP Model again.  Also, just took care of the printhead error message and did what they said to do online....

HP Recommended

Please try this:

1. While the printer is still turned on, unplug all cables and cords at the back of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord also from the wall outlet...

3. Wait for two minutes.

4. Reconnect power cord to the wall outlet first.

5. Press and hold the pound (#) and six (6) buttons.

6. While holding down the two buttons, reconnect the power cord to the back of the printer and after two seconds, release pound and six buttons.

7. Turn on the printer if it turns off...

HP Recommended

Many thanks.  Your suggestion worked for me.  Can't thank you enough.  All my best.

HP Recommended

Your solution worked great. Thank you so very much.  The reading I had done on HP solutions said it was low power but as odd as that sounded, I still followed their steps. I finally came to their last one which was call for service. I knew that my next step would be here. Not surprised to see so many people having the same problem but relieved.  I believe for the most part that we all will help each other and I was right. Any thoughts on why this happens so often and why HP doesn't address it? How did you ever figure out your solution? You're great!  Oh, one other thought to pass on, I did recently move this printer onto a new surface that was not level. Do you think that matters?

LOL - so many questions and all I really wanted was to say thanks, but I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.