Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yay- sometimes maybe they are but for my fault- I checked all swollen caps and tried with new motherboard as you can read above and it was exacly the same. Thanks for contributing anyway. Regards

HP Recommended
HaHaHa....I SOLVED MY HP PROBLEM????BOUGHT A REALLY NICE! QUIET! RUNNING SMOOTHLY???WITH TONS OF GOOD REVIEWS CANON MX 892 $149 @Staples....love it talkabout holding more paper, different feeds...touchpad..all in 1 NO JAMS I AM IN HEAVEN???YOU SHOULD TRY !
HP Recommended

@Obidion wrote:

Yay- sometimes maybe they are but for my fault- I checked all swollen caps and tried with new motherboard as you can read above and it was exacly the same. Thanks for contributing anyway. Regards

Now, you still can't use these printer?

If I remember, you changed the mainboard and print head, right ?

Where is the pump located? 

I can't remove the printhead since it use small torx screw.

I waiting to buy torx screwdriver.

HP Recommended

Now, you still can't use these printer?

If I remember, you changed the mainboard and print head, right ?

Where is the pump located? 

I can't remove the printhead since it use small torx screw.

I waiting to buy torx screwdriver.

I've bought same, used model on ebay- I tried mainboard from this one- on my old/broken one- still the same. Then I forced some black paint under syringe pressure into print head and it started to print shades of black- then forced in all the way (as I knew thats a last attempt as I was sick of it) and it broke... Probably you need new print head. It's not a pump (it's white motor at the left edge that is pumping ink in- reg your question) as it pumps both ways all well and no message regarding pump from printer OS). To remove print head - it's the one that is at the end of the link- the one that prints stuff on paper and is on railing as you can guess... and if you put the printer apart already-- is VERY easy- you just need to remove few long philips screws on the top of it and remove metal clip that goes on the top- then a messy part- disconnect hosetape:) good luck

PS. My "new" printer had a stalled pump problem but now it's ok after factory reset...

HP Recommended

any help with printing black yet? getting really frustrated!

HP Recommended

I'm sure it is software related; however, probably not a Vista issue. I say that because it worked fine when I first brought it home. I'll admit my problem isn't the same as the OP as my black ink cartridge works, it's just that the communication with the printer isn't working with making it print in black ink. And, because some people are able to fix their printer with # 6, I'm more willing to believe it is an HP issue and not a Vista issue. Again, my printer worked out of the box with Vista so my money is on the problem being with software updates from HP. As a matter of fact, it was an HP update a few years ago that blue screened my computer and it took a year before I was able to get it back....HP knocked out my computer...period. I no longer allow HP automated updates. I will try uninstalling again and reinstalling with the original CD that came with the printer 5 years ago. If that works, I'll not be updating anymore...not much need anyway...it's a printer!

As another note, my sister bought the same printer about the same time as I did and she is without black ink. This has been on an XP computer and now a Windows 8. I'll probably go play on her stuff and see if I can't help a bit but the # 6 didn't work.

FYI, I did the # 6 and, while it didn't change the communication issue, my computer used to make horrible screeching noises and the carriage seemed to move jerkily, and now it is much quieter and smoother. Doesn't make much sense but there it is. I think I'll have to agree with some of the other posters and say that HP somehow infecte this printer with goblins and such!

HP Recommended

@columbia93 wrote:

I'm sure it is software related; however, probably not a Vista issue. I say that because it worked fine when I first brought it home. I'll admit my problem isn't the same as the OP as my black ink cartridge works, it's just that the communication with the printer isn't working with making it print in black ink. And, because some people are able to fix their printer with # 6, I'm more willing to believe it is an HP issue and not a Vista issue. [snip]

I would bet the issue is not due to an update or other software issue.  You can check this by printing a diagnostic page as described in Step 4 of this document.  If black does not print properly on that page the issue is not related to the computer or the drivers, as they are not used to print the diagnostic page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Having same trouble printing excel spreadsheets.  While awaiting tech support to call back, changed font on spreadshet to Courier and it prints?

HP Recommended

I have the problem with the black not printing with my C7280 and is driving me crazy. With my hubby's help tried all of the solutions I can find except pumping fluid directly into the machine (next step to try) and as yet nothing works. Resetting, burping etc., have not worked. I did have an update to my Vista drivers just before it stopped printing black so wondering if this has any bearing on the problem.

This forum is driving me crazy too as I have to keep changing my password to be able to post. Also the search facility is useless as it did not find this thread, a Google search did.

This is my first HP all in one, never had a problem with HP printers where the printheads are on the cartridge. I have owned various HP printers since 1994 but will now be looking for a different make. In the meantime  it looks like I will have to buy cartridges for my older D5160 as it has been neglected since having the C7280.

HP Recommended

@Neries wrote:

I have the problem with the black not printing with my C7280 and is driving me crazy. With my hubby's help tried all of the solutions I can find except pumping fluid directly into the machine (next step to try) and as yet nothing works. Resetting, burping etc., have not worked. I did have an update to my Vista drivers just before it stopped printing black so wondering if this has any bearing on the problem.

This forum is driving me crazy too as I have to keep changing my password to be able to post. Also the search facility is useless as it did not find this thread, a Google search did.

This is my first HP all in one, never had a problem with HP printers where the printheads are on the cartridge. I have owned various HP printers since 1994 but will now be looking for a different make. In the meantime  it looks like I will have to buy cartridges for my older D5160 as it has been neglected since having the C7280.

I forgot to add that the error message I get is the 'printhead alignment failure 'which makes me think it is software related although when I clean the printheads using the menu on the printer as where the black should be it is red. In Word it prints nothing, in other software it prints either brown or red where it should be black. A helpful techie on Daisy Trail suggested blocked printheads. So I am none the wiser as to what is causing the problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.