Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@johnjriii wrote:

I just took a new Photosmart Plus out of the box and tried to set it up.  The first alignment page had very dim black print and wouldn't scan.  Then nothing.  I tried reseating the cartridge, looking for tape that I may have forgotten to take off, examining the contacts, etc.  I was going to take the cartridge back and exchange it just in case it was bad.  Fortunately, I found this string.  I'll be taking the printer back and buying a Canon. [snip]

This thread is not related the the issue you are seeing with the Photosmart Plus.  The ink delivery systems are totally different, the C7280 has internal plumbing while the Photosmart Plus has the ink supplies on the carriage with the printheads.  Before taking the printer back I would suggest you Contact HP (1-800-HPINVENt in the US).

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi.. I have the same problem.. My HP Photosmart 5180 is not also printing black... I already clean all the pipeline and cartriges.. but to vain... they I decided to change the CMOS baterry.. after replacing that, it print black again.. Hope this will work for you guys!! Just make sure to clean the piping first.

HP Recommended

@hotasfireph wrote:

Hi.. I have the same problem.. My HP Photosmart 5180 is not also printing black... I already clean all the pipeline and cartriges.. but to vain... they I decided to change the CMOS baterry.. after replacing that, it print black again.. Hope this will work for you guys!! Just make sure to clean the piping first.

Change the CMOS battery!  That's a new one but now you've mentioned it, I found other references elsewhere to this potential solution.  Like to tell us how you replaced it?  Where do you find it in the C7280?

HP Recommended

Mine is located at the right side of the printer... but you will need a special screw driver (Star Screw), you have to  remove the cover and the main board.. I think it's just the same with C7280..

HP Recommended

Wow!  I just put a new post up not seeing this one further down.  This trail discussing the black ink not printing goes back to 11/08.  All of you just answered my question.  I have a Photosmart Plus B209a which I have hated from the first day almost a year ago.  I have not been pleased with the performance, I hate the fact that it has to go thru 30 seconds of God knows what gyrations before it will do anything, especially print & now I find out that HP has had a black ink cartridge problem all this time. 

[text removed]

HP Recommended

hello, did you ever get this problem resolved?  I am having the same problem! I am on my fourth black ink cartridge!  please help!

HP Recommended

I finaly managed to revive my C7180 that started acting up the other day. Black text documents came out brownish, test-page balck areas where striped. Installed a new black cartridge. Same thing and  re-alignment failed and sent me to a HP website.

Now two days later with a lot of ( 30 passes at least) cleaning and intermeidiate cleaning re-alignment worked and the diag page came out readable.

I have had warnings that the old black cartridge had expired, but I ignored that a few times. Then the printer stopped napping about that.... Maybe I should have listened and acted..

/A

HP Recommended

we read all the postings, replaced all the inks with HP inks, re-ran the clean printehead numerous times, slapped the black ink cartridges until black ink covered my hands, then finally the 3210 responded with failed ink system message-won't print a **bleep** thing. 

Then got an idea from the one who posted about restarting, holding down a couple of keys (but don't have the same printer-keys not the same):  we just REBOOTED it. 

It performed a Device Maintenance routine for a few minutes, finally shows the correct ink levels (all now new HP cartridges but probably not necessary)  and works GREAT! 

This is not a new printer obviously but it's worked a long time so we'll stick with it until it just gives out.  We love it even if it dies tomorrow; we'll buy HP again. 

Hope this helps all ya'll

HP Recommended

Strange, I thought I got my c7180 working. The Diagnostic Page printed OK, all color-boxes filled without any streaks. Demo photos printed OK.

But the TestPage printed from Windows had streaks on some parts of the text. The internal test page also....

Tried printing a PDF dokument. Looked OK.....

Clearly not a ink delivery problem....or ?? Seems more like a content dependant problem....memry issues ? font storage issues ??

Confused.

/A

HP Recommended

I registered just so I could reply to this frustrating thread. I have tried all the tricks listed on the 13 pages for many, many months and my HP Officejet Pro L7680 still does not consistently print black. I kept coming back to see if someone came up with a miracle fix. Now I have a new message that my alignment failed (resetting does not fix). I love the printer when it works but it is like a drup addict - continually relapsing to it's bad behavior. Time for tough love and kick it out. . . but no way am I getting another HP!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.