Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I am truly frustrated.  My printer indicated that I needed a new black ink cartridge and I purchased a new cartridge and put it in.  The level indicates that it is full.  However, when printing, it will print all colors EXCEPT black.  I have done a Self Test Diagnostic as well as a Print Cartridge Alignment many times to try to get the black to work, but to no avail.  It prints all other colors, but no black.  I took the black cartridge to a store to check it and was told there is nothing wrong with the cartridge.  I have looked at all areas of technical support, but see no advice for this situation.  Has anyone had this occur and what is my next step.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was experiencing similar issues, then I tried step 4 on this page:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00635953

I basically took out the black ink cartridge, left it on the desk with the print head facing up for two hours, wiped it off with a damp paper towel (not sure if that is necessary), and reinstalled. I printed a test page, then printed a regular page - it looked great and my problem was fixed!

View solution in original post

245 REPLIES 245
HP Recommended

It seems to me that it is a printer problem since it's showing that the ink is full. I better suggest that you call Technical Support for deeper troubleshooting and if there is a need to service the printer, they can replace it. The

You find the link here:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
HP Recommended
I don't want to be insulting, but did you make sure the tape was removed?  This is a very common mistake, I have done it myself, and the printer will recognize a full cartridge, but not print anything, even on the alignment page.
HP Recommended

No insult taken.  I decided to purchase a new black cartridge and went to Best Buy and talked with an employee about my situation.  He stated that he has seen the black printer head (on the HP Photoshop C7280 series) to go bad if it is used quite a bit.  As I have had the printer just a tad over a year and used it in the home, I have not used it to the extent (at least in my opinion) to overuse the print head.  He said to give the new cartridge a try, but he stated I may need to send the printer in for repair.  He also stated that HP has updated this printer to a newer printer as they are finding the print cartridges (for the C7280 series) have had a little trouble with them.  😞

HP Recommended

I'm having this problem too.  And no, there is NO tape still on the cartridge.  The printer recognizes that the black cartridge is full, but it will only print in colors & nothing in black.  In Excel, I get blank pages "printed".  I have cleaned the cartridges over & over, & cleaned the carriage, and the only error message I get is that the cartidge won't align.  I am really frustrated - I have loved this printer for the 14 months I've owned it (other than the fact that I had to finally connect it directly to my pc because the wireless connection kept disappearing).  If it were bent wires on the little gold connection rectangle, surely

the printer wouldn't recognize that there's a full cartridge there.  I haven't tried uninstalling & re-installing, but I'm thinking it may be a problem with the

"pump" that pumps the black ink from the cartridge down to the paper????  Has anyone received an answer to this problem?  Or are my only options to pay for a repair or buy a new printer (probably won't be an HP this time).  Interestly, my OLD HP printer is still working fine & hooked to another pc; it just doesn't copy or fax or scan.

HP Recommended
I completely gave up and purchased a new printer/fax/scanner/copier.  And just like you, it is NOT an HP.  I still own it just in case someone figures out what could be wrong with it.  But I kept receiving faxes and they would print out "blank".  Very frustrating as I didn't know who sent the fax, so I couldn't even call and say "hey, refax to a different number"  ggrrrrrrr.... I couldn't stand it any longer!  I ended up purchasing an Epson.  It has all the same functions and it is as compact, but I have to admit that I really loved the HP.  Just couldn't get myself to repurchase something that seems to have a flaw about a year after purchasing.
HP Recommended

Hey everyone,

I'm the admin here, but for my personal printer I have the 7280. I've never seen this issue with the black ink not printing. I do have some friends in that org and will put a request out to see if anyone knows.

I do know there are 2 different black inks for the 7280. There is the "initial feed" one that primes the printer for the first time. It can only be used one time and if you are trying to use another of these after it has already been used, that may be causing a problem. I would expect if you tried to refill the 1st time cartridge, that may cause what you are seeing.

Anyway, most people are out of the office this week. I'll see what I can find out next week and post back here.

GarenT

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended
The black cartridge in the printer is definitely NOT the original one.  It is an HP one I bought from Office Depot brand new.  I have actually tried THREE brand new HP black ink cartridges now & none has worked, although all three show as full on both the printer's screen & the computer's screen.  I would sure appreciate any help you can give me/us.
HP Recommended

I have been having same problem. HP help was OK. Decided that printer needed to be replaced after we did all the troubleshooting they asked. That is the problem. It has been 14 weeks since this process started and am still waiting to be contacted  Prints  boxes etc but no text. Change to any other color and everything is fine. Am considering getting a different printer and at this time HP is not really at the top of list.

PS this is first time doing this so am not sure why the first one did not have all the info.

thanks

Message Edited by fisherman1 on 01-02-2009 04:42 PM
Message Edited by fisherman1 on 01-02-2009 04:45 PM
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with the HP D7200.

Replaced both the black and cyan cartridges (ink levels confirming they are now full), but keep getting printer error asking me to replace these cartridges as they are "empty".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.