Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hot Dam you people are genius's, removing the ink cartridges actually worked.....for now.....next option maybe a hammer but well see how this goes.......   🙂   thanks

HP Recommended
The energetic cartridge replacement has worked!!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HP Recommended

thanks so much....your advice worked.  i energetically removed and replaced the cartridges.....my yellow was brand new.  then i ran a test print and now everything works fine....Go figure.   thanks so much....

HP Recommended

My printer is no longer usable for work.The pump motor stalled message keeps coming up and my old fixes(restarting etc.) no longer work.No help from HP so far.

HP Recommended

Same problem,think I will try Epson.Hope it's not as bad.

HP Recommended

fwiw - I went for the trade-in program, only because I didn't want my C7280 to clog the dump - mostly a green reason. I bought an HP7510e C311a at 25% off, it's definitely an upgrade and works great, got a few bucks for sending my C7280 back (they also paid for the shipping), and returned all my ink cartridges (some new) to Staples for full credit or used cartridge Rewards credit. No more "pump motor stalled" and we'll see if this printer lasts more than 4 years. I generally am a big fan of HP engineering and am willing to stick with them.

HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone on this post for all the helpful suggestions.

I had all the same error messages last week, pump motor stalled/ ink failure, and tried the suggestion of re-inserting all the ink cartridges. Was very happy that I got my printer working again at the weekend 🙂

However yesterday the light cyan ink cartridge ran out and now the printer won't recognise the new ink cartridges 😞 I only use offical HP inks & I've tried a couple of different ones just in case the problem was with ink not the printer but no use. The printer screen recognises the new HP ink but then when I try to print it tells me that the ink cartridge is empty! I've re-tried all the suggestions of re-booting & re-inserting cartridges etc. but no luck.

I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone has

Thanks

HP Recommended
I can't get mine past the grinding and some of the various error messages . . . ugh. Mine has actually 'not' been working for awhile. I found an old printer in my sons room (he's a college grad and now off on his own - guess he abandoned this other HP F380 here because we bought him another one??? He went through MANY). This one works fine - but that 7200 Series I paid EXTRA for isn't worth two ¢'s Wish I had the luck you did.
HP Recommended

Gonna try this - it's the only thing I haven't tried.  UGH>

HP Recommended

I too have had the same frustrating errors (pump stalled, ink system failure, and photo tray issues).  I found a reset on the web somewhere that helped to get rid of my ink system failure, but it kept reoccurring.  I also found that in the same menus I found a system reset.  So far, it's cleared everything and allowed me to print again.  (BTW, the ink cartridge hokey pokey, plugging and unplugging, moving around the print head, etc... did not work for me).

You simply press * and # at the same time and when it asks for your code type "123".  This brings up a menu.  At first I was entering the configuration menu and clearing the errors via prompts on the screen, but this stopped working for me, so I just went in and found a reset menu and used it instead.  It takes a little while for it to reset itself, but now I can print again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.