Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I tried everything listed to include energetically removing and replacing each ink cartridge.  I turned the printer off, on unplugged etc.  THEN your comment about yellow ink being low caught my eye.  My yellow ink was lower than all the other ink levels (although not yet being reported as being "low").  I replaced the yellow ink with a new cartridge and after making all the noises described by others my printer went right back to printing just like it didn't waste an hour of my time trying to figure out this problem.

Check the cartridges.

HP Recommended

As stated by a previous member this also worked for me. The first time I got this error message a # * 1,2,3 with a failure clear and reset worked for me but NOT the second time.

This process below worked for me the 2nd time, and obviously has to do with the pump motor not distributing ink when the printer does the 'ink preparation process.'

1. Remove the left side white panel. (if you are facing the FRONT of the primter)

Use a T10 screw driver (star shaped).
Remove 1 screw on the back near the panel. (RH screw if you are facing the REAR of the printer)
Remove 2 screws under the ink cover near the left edge. (Top LH screws if you face Front of printer)
Push down on the dark plastic tab and pull the top of the white panel.
Then the back will release along the top edge, but the front will be stuck.
Pull up on the dark plastic near the front edge. This will release the white panel.

2. Manually actuate the ink pump.

The ink pump has a belt running over a 1.25" (ish) gear near the front of the printer.
It is a peristalsis pump with 6 hoses running over it. Turn the large gear counter clockwise several times. This will free the pump.

3. Check the operation.

The motor should start the pump during the power up sequence.

4. Replace the cover.

HP Recommended

Please help me with this frustrating problem that doesn't seem to be addressed in the operating manual.   PUMP MOTOR STALLED is message.......Press   ????????????????   I CANNOT figure what they are telling me to press !!!   IS this an internal hardware problem???

HP Recommended

I laughed out loud and as I was performing the ENERGETIC CARTRIDGE REPLACEMENT (ECR) I laughed so hard that tears came to my eyes as I thought of other C7280 users doing the same thing. But the ECR worked. 🙂

Thanks!

HP Recommended
I tried the fix below and it worked. I have been using the printer flawlessly for the past week. I used a T8 screw driver not the T10.

Thanks for the person who posted this. It saved me a couple of hundred dollars and the aggrivation of buying another printer. 

Re: HP Photosmart C7280 Pump Motor Stalled[ New ]

As stated by a previous member this also worked for me. The first time I got this error message a # * 1,2,3 with a failure clear and reset worked for me but NOT the second time.

This process below worked for me the 2nd time, and obviously has to do with the pump motor not distributing ink when the printer does the 'ink preparation process.'

1. Remove the left side white panel. (if you are facing the FRONT of the primter)

Use a T10 screw driver (star shaped).
Remove 1 screw on the back near the panel. (RH screw if you are facing the REAR of the printer)
Remove 2 screws under the ink cover near the left edge. (Top LH screws if you face Front of printer)
Push down on the dark plastic tab and pull the top of the white panel.
Then the back will release along the top edge, but the front will be stuck.
Pull up on the dark plastic near the front edge. This will release the white panel.

2. Manually actuate the ink pump.

The ink pump has a belt running over a 1.25" (ish) gear near the front of the printer.
It is a peristalsis pump with 6 hoses running over it. Turn the large gear counter clockwise several times. This will free the pump.

3. Check the operation.

The motor should start the pump during the power up sequence.

4. Replace the cover.

HP Recommended

Want to let you know that this really worked for me..My neighbor came over and he took off the panel and followed the steps!!! It really worked for me because I was going to just buy another printer, after following all the other directions  to no avail........ Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

"I had exactly the same issues with Pump Motor Stalled and Improper Shutdown. This was the perfect solution! I removed all the cartridges, clicked okay. Then I waited for it ask for the cartridges, replaced them, and viola! Thanks for the resolution!"

This fixed my problem, thank you sooooo much!!!

HP Recommended

After following all the instructions on the printer to fix-hit OK, unplug-with no success, i followed the suggestion to remove all the ink cartridges, close top, wait for printer to say there were no cartridges, reinstalled all the ink cartridges and dah dah! I did have one cartridge close to empty so i replaced it with a new one.  printer is now back in operation. My printer is several years old and am finding that more of these weird errors have been happening-not alot but occasionally. I find this site very helpful. I do like this printer and would most likely replaced it with another when i need. to.

HP Recommended

Oh this was a wonderful post!!! And the visuals alone made my day!! But , it also WORKED!!!! ENERGETICALLY being the key word!!!! Thank you so much for the help and the tension breaker laughs I got from it!!!!

HP Recommended

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, I TRIED EVERYTHING THAT HAD BEEN POSTED. WHEN I READ YOUR'S I READ DOWN TO THE YELLOW CARTRIDGE( WHICH I HAD JUST CHANGED) WHEN I TOOK IT OUT AND SHOOK IT A LITTLE IT WORKED AGAIN. MY PRINTER IS ABOUT 6 YEARS OLD AND HAS BEEN A GREAT PRINTER. AND SINCE I HAVE ABOUT $300 WORTH OF CARTRIDGES I WASN'T LOOKING FORWARD TO CHANGING PRINTERS. LOL.  Again thanks so much for the info.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.