Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This printer is out of warranty but I have used it maybe twice in its lifetime. Even though the ink cartridges were still full, the expiration date apparently made the printer non-functioning. I bought a complete set of 6 HP Ink Cartridges (02) and just put them in.

I get the following message:

Ink System Failure

------

Ink system has failed. Unable to print. Refer to printer documentation.

Error: 0xc18a0206

Turn power off, then on again.

I have researched this problem, and it seems to be a product flaw to which HP offered solutions of (1) Unplugging the power cord and/or (2) Re-inserting the new cartridges. NEITHER of these solutions work for me.

One solution that seems to have provided relief for many users is the following:

- Turn off power and unplug from power source.
- Open right side of printer (looking at the front).
- Disconnect by pulling gently, both white flat ribbon cables off the main circuit board.
- Plug in power source and turn printer on. Wait till you get a error message and push "Ok".
- Unplug power source.
- Reconnect the flat ribbon cables by aligning and carefully pushing into the conectors on the main circuit board.
- Plug in power source and turn printer on (Printer preparing occurred).

I have absolutely no idea how to "open right side of printer (looking at the front)." I know it can't be easy because ... well ... there is no 'right side' that is separate from the rest and everything on this printer seems to be nailed down like Fort Knox.

Can anyone help me on how to "open right side of printer"? Once that is accomplished, perhaps the next step "Disconnect by pulling gently, both white flat ribbon cables off the main circuit board." will resolve this issue.

Thank you so much!!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Someone ... PLEASE HELP ME :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

Hi, I know this post was some time ago but FYI check out the link below to a solved post on this topic....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/HP-Photosmart-D7360-Ink-System-Fai...

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Its a Bitch...you must carefully remove with flatheads...there are 10 plastic clips which hold the side down..it popped off and I removed the white ribbons from the board, powered up and unplugged it then reinserted theribbons and plugged in again. the printer indicated printer prepreation cycle for a few...this thing shakes the small wicker table where it sits. The error code is gone although now it say out of paper...

HP Recommended

Hi larry68,

I understand you have a Photosmart D7360 that had an ink system failure but has now turned into an out of paper message. I'm sorry to hear this has been happening but I will do my best to assist you with this.

I would recommend following this Carriage Jam document as it has steps for cleaning the rollers and checking for any obstructions in the paper path. Even though that isn't the error you're getting the steps should still be relevant.

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I finally got the right side off by sheer brute force (it's not easy) and removing the ribbons didn't work to remove the Ink System Failure Error message.

Over a year later (today ... 07/18/14), I went back to it and got the same error messages. Since the side was already off, I left the power plugged in while removing the two white ribbons and voila!

No more error message.

However, two of my brand new cartridges are registering as empty .... and I'm really not into spending another $75 for more ink ... and then holding my breath to find out if this POS works ... so I'll probably trash-can it anyway.

HP Recommended
I would like to thank you for your assistance in resolving my ink System Failure issue. I have had my photosmart D7360 for over ten years and was ready to just toss it. After seeing your post I gave it a try and wow it actually worked. Yes, it was very difficult to remove the front right side. Using lots of strength (I asked a strong friend) who carefully with different size flat screw drivers was able to disconnect the white clips inside and open the front and right side of printer. I followed the instructions listed above to disconnect the white ribbon cables from the board and later reconnecting them and reattaching front printer. It is not easy but a little time and effort can work. I turned the power on and my printer powered up normally followed by a normal print job. I am more than pleased.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.