Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm giving up on HP; pemanently.  They turned my expensive AIO printer in to a boat anchor.

HP Recommended

Does the deskjet 3520 series support the Apple operating system 9? Sorry I have one old computer.

Thanks for your help.

[edited email by Moderator]

HP Recommended

Since I did not read your post before setting up my HP Laserjet 5p printer to my macbook air with OS X 10.9.3 system, I missed the important note shown on your post!

"Important: Use Software Update before connecting the printer. This updates your Mac's database of the latest supported printer and scanner models.  If you don't initiate Software Update before attempting to connect a new printer, you may not see available software when you connect your device." 

Instead I plugged in my printer cable "USB into computer,, multi pin connector into printer" before doing the apple software update. When I first plugged in the USB into the computer I was prompted to install the printer software, which I did.

But when I went to print a document, on the first page it printed some jibberish at the very top only and then it just kept printing blank pages and it wouldnt stop until it ran out of paper. Pressing the RESET button did'nt seem to help

My printer is an HP LaserJet 5P

My new computer is a MacBook Air OSX version 10.9.3

They are connected, USB into computer,, multi pin connector into printer

In the Printers and Scanners window it showed HP LaserJet 5MP

In the printers and scanners window it states the following for this printer;

Device Name HP_LaserJet_5P

Driver Version 19.8

So my question is, How do I get to print docs to my laserJet printer from my MacBook air?

Where do I go from here?

The printer works fine when I use my old PC.

I want to know how I can fix the problem and able to use my printer to print from macbook air?

Please let me know

Thanks a lot

Yaru

HP Recommended

Hi @allegro23 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I needed to edit your post and remove the email address. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi @allegro23 

Do you have the HP Deskjet 3520 Inkjet Printer or the HP Deskjet 3520 e-All-in-One Printer? And do you have Mac 10.9 like stated in the title of this thread, or do you indeed have Mac OS 9?  

THe 3520 will work with OS 9 - hp Mac deskjet driver for OS 9.1 - 9.2.2 / Classic  but will not work with 10.9, and the 3520 e-All-in-One will not work with OS 9, but will work with 10.9 - HP Deskjet 3520 e-All-in-One series Full Feature Software and Drivers - OS X 10.9 Mavericks

I hope this helps.

@Yaru   - For yourself, I notice you have 10.9.3. I recommend updating your OS using the Apple Software Updater as you should have the newest release 10.9.4.

If you have any difficulty after updating the OS, let me know. Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I did have OS X Version 10.9.4; again I checked for update, came back as no update available. Still my HP Laserjet 5p is not printing from my OS X Maverick

I gave up

Yaru

HP Recommended

Hi @Yaru 

It may be a good idea to try leaving the printer on and unplugging the power cable, then shutting down the Mac for a minute. After a minute, restart the computer and plug the printer back in, then try printing again.

If this does not work, please describe what happens when you try to print, does the job go to the print queue, is there an error message?

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Since I was not able to print using apple Maverick, I setup to share the printer from a Windows 8 PC. At the windows system printer works correctly.

While setting up the Printer on apple I am sending the screen shots below:

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

On the Use option for Printer software list I could not find the "HP Laserjet 5p" at all.  Which one I have to select?

Please let me know

Screen Shot 1.png

PS: Today I received a software update from apple stating 10.9.5. May I go ahead and do the update before adding the printer?

Thanks for your help,

Yaru

HP Recommended

After doing some additional research, it appears the 5P is a commerical model.

My technical expertise is with consumer products and software, I am sure the commercial folks would be happy to help if you re-post your question for them to answer. The HP Enterprise Business Community is an HP Forum designed for the Commercial and Enterprise customers to help one another. I am sure you will find some HP folks there to help too.

Click here to view the Printing and Digital Imaging.  When the page opens you will see the option to 'Log in' or 'Register Now' on the right. The commercial forums are separate from the consumer boards, thus you will need to register if you don't already have a commercial account.

Before you post there, and/or while you wait to hear from somebody, please try downloading this driver and then adding the printer; HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your effort, I did have the "HP Printer Driver 2.16.1 for OS X. That did not work. Originally I directly setup the printer in OS X Maverick. It did not work, then I tried to setup as network (Printer sharing) with a PC with Windows 8. That also did not work. Now even if I tried to setup the printer directly, the direct setup option is not at all available. I will try to post it to the commercial forms as you have suggested and try my luck

Thanks for the help

Yaru  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.