Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Can't connect to wireless router. SSID is correct, no security or filtering. Printed report fails at the second term "Wireless Working", the following SSID check is even not run. I am pretty sure that the wireless switch is turned on. What could be the possible problem?

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Do a Wireless Network Test from the front panel.  It will self-test your wireless card in the printer.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Firstly, enter in the menu "set up" -> " Wireless menu" -> " Set up wizard",  make sure you can see your SSID and press "ok" to connect. If it fails to connect, please check what wireless standard your router support, Officejet 4500 wireless support only 802.11 b/g, not including 802.11n.

HP Recommended

I am having a similar problem.  I had the printer (same model) hooked up for 3-4 months fine, worked fine with my laptop and desktop (wireless with laptop, wired on desktop).  Running windows 7 on both machines, a non-broadcasted ssid, with wpa2.  Just stopped working one day last week. 

I have ca anti-virus, and I opened the 427 udp port as instructed.  It now works wired only.  I tried every method I could find online to have the laptop find it (I can't detect it wirelessly, despite being network connected on the printer itself and with install of the software on the laptop).  The wireless blue icon is on, but nothing is detected.  I am running out of ideas.  I tried making it a shared workgroup printer, and that didn't work either. 

Really starting to think the printer shat out on me. 

HP Recommended

Run a Wireless Test from the front panel of the printer.  (Setup > Network > Wireless Test).  It will self-test the radio and report.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Let's assume I did that (b/c I did, had to do manually, I don't broadcast my ssid).  Even then, my laptop searching for a printer on the network could not find it. 

What other steps can I take, when I run the diagnostic network program and run wireless setup on either computer, I run into the ip address not communicating and the 427 port issue, which is not an issue, since I opened that on both computers' firewalls.  I even tried to do this with firewalls off. 

I am running a netgear wnr2000, b/g/n router, seems to be working fine, everything is connected and internet is working fine. 

HP Recommended

You need to have SSID broadcast enabled for the setup to work.  Not broadcasting SSID is not a good security measure - read more here.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

The thing is, it has never broadcasted, but I had it setup for over 3 months running fine. so now I have to undo that to get the **bleep** printer to work when it was working fine until now with the same setting?

HP Recommended

You ran the Wireless Test from the front of the printer?  What did it say?  Did the self-test of the radio pass or fail?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I worked this problem for hours and finally gave up and used a USB connection between the computer and the printer to diagnose the problem.  It took a few more minutes, but the wireless diagnostic cured the problem and the wireless printer is back on line. From what I could tell, it was recalibrating the IP address for the printer.

Good luck

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.