Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP officejet 5740--having trouble printing.  Output is blank pages with slight smears.  However, when I run the diagnostic tests (3-step/levels), the information prints correctly.  Right now, just keep using more and more ink on the various levels of diagnostic test but still cannot print or copy simple documents.  Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Photoray002,

Thanks for your response. 

I actually found a video online which solved the problem for me.  Defective ink!  The cartridges showed that they were half full but once I replaced the ink, the problem was solved.

Have never encountered this before so was quite an eye-opener.  Will keep your response on file in case something else pops up!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello ab87,

When you say you cannot print or copy, you mean from the computer, correct? Or is the All in One not printing correctly if you copy print directly in the printer?

If from the computer, completely uninstall the driver/software for the printer.

Remove everything related to the printer installation. Let me know if you need help with that.

Download or re-download this file for the installation...

File name: OJ5740_117.exe

Restart the computer and reinstall the the new downloaded drivers.

Let me know the results.

HP Recommended

Hi Photoray002,

Thanks for your response. 

I actually found a video online which solved the problem for me.  Defective ink!  The cartridges showed that they were half full but once I replaced the ink, the problem was solved.

Have never encountered this before so was quite an eye-opener.  Will keep your response on file in case something else pops up!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.