Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8620 printer, When I use the upper section to scan or copy it puts a black line on the it. It does not do it if I use the flat bed to make the copies or scan. that works if I only have one page. but when I have multi pages it is time consuming. Is there a way to clean the top section so that It does not put the line on the copy or scan?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue you are seeing is caused by a spec on the thin piece of glass to the left of the main scanner bed.  Clean this area thoroughly and it will resolve the issue.  It may help to shine a bright flashlight from the front of the printer nearly parallel to the glass to highlight the spec.  

The following may also help find the spec:  get a peice of blank letter size white paper.  Write "top" and "bottom" on the top and bottom end of the paper, then feed the top end into the ADF and make a copy.  When the copy comes out of the printer take the copy and align the end that says "bottom" face up on the main scanner bed.  Move it to the left against the thin glass.  The spot the line points to will indicate where the cleaning needs to occur.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The issue you are seeing is caused by a spec on the thin piece of glass to the left of the main scanner bed.  Clean this area thoroughly and it will resolve the issue.  It may help to shine a bright flashlight from the front of the printer nearly parallel to the glass to highlight the spec.  

The following may also help find the spec:  get a peice of blank letter size white paper.  Write "top" and "bottom" on the top and bottom end of the paper, then feed the top end into the ADF and make a copy.  When the copy comes out of the printer take the copy and align the end that says "bottom" face up on the main scanner bed.  Move it to the left against the thin glass.  The spot the line points to will indicate where the cleaning needs to occur.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank You Bob, that worked, I am very greatful.

HP Recommended

I am glad things are resolved.  I have only seen this a few times over the years on my printers, I am always surprised how small a spec in the wrong place can cause the lines.  

The good news is that it is an easy fix.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.