Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Just bought the 2540 today to print wirelessly from ipad. done a few tests and the print has frequent horizontal lines missing making the text look double spaced.
HELP!
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem on a brand new HP 2542 bought today. Misses out alternate lines when printing text. Did you find a solution? I think it might be Mac drivers.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone, and welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you are experiencing issues while printing. I would like to assist.

I would recommend utilizing this document on Missing or partial print issues on Windows 8 / 8.1 by @JERENDS 

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my brand new HP 2540 running on a Mac OSX 10.7.5

If I do a copy then there is no problem. When I print from file or print a test page I get equidistant horizontal gaps in the print! It's driving me crazy!

I installed the printer and software from disc as per the instruction manual.

Your help would be appreciated - the previous reply was concerned with Windows 8 and does not apply to me.

HP Recommended

Hi @spence731 , and welcome to the HP Forums.

I would suggest deleting the printer from your print system, using this document: Uninstalling the Printer Software.

Once you have deleted it, I would suggest verifying and repairing the disk permissions: About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature.

I would also suggest running your Apple updates:  OS X: Updating OS X and Mac App Store apps

After the updates, I would recommend reinstalling the HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Good luck and please let me know how it goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Sorted! I simply reboot the machine after installation and now it works fine.

Thanks
HP Recommended
Tried lots of things and the problem persist, the black ink isn't printing properly. Still have horizontal streaks in a printout. It's a new printer and new cartridges. I tried the clean printhead troubleshooting option but it didn't fix the problem, so I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and tried again still didn't print properly. I printed a quality diagnostics, most of it printed well but number 11 the pen alignment status said fail but I don't know what that means and I can't find anything online on how to fix that. Then tried to align but that page didn't print very well but still scanned it and it's now it says the device is calibrating, for like the last 45 mins. I don't know what to do to fix this irritating problem.
HP Recommended

Hi Micky2515, thanks for getting in touch!

I'd recommend a power reset.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I'd then recommend (if you're using Windows) updating the firmware:

HP Deskjet 2540 series Firmware Update

Please keep me posted!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I've removed the printer, added the printer (multiple times), and (stooping to Windows OS futnzing levels), restarted my Mac.

None of this works.  My extremely simple google doc prints with the 1st 1.5 lines clipped (like a border was defined) and then misses 2 of the next 4 lines. 

Mac OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

HP Recommended

Hi @razride

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 🙂 Good day. Hope you are doing well. I understand that the Deskjet printer has printing issues. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. 🙂

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. 🙂 Excellent research , brilliant troubleshooting and diagnosis were done before posting your query. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

First off we need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

Please make a dew copies first without any communication from the computer.

• Please try to make a few copies directly from the printer without any intervention from the computer. Please place the required document face down on the flatbed scanner and touch the copy button. If it copies fine, then the issue could be software related.

If it does not copy fine, then the issue is hardware related and please contact HP Phone support to get the unit serviced or replaced. If the unit is under warranty, repair services should be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.

You could look up the unit’s warranty by visiting this link: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/checkwarranty/  and select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions. Link to visit HP phone support: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions.

If it copies fine please reset the printing system from this link: https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203343 Then try to add the printer and print.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to

appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family:)  Take care.:)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.