Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP8725 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased new cartridges for my HP8725 laserjet all-in-one printer since the cartridges that came with the printer are empty.  I normally recycle my cartridges with HP, but the cartridge has a message on the label that says the cartridge is required for setup.  Should I keep the original Setup Cartridge in case something happens that I need to reinstall my printer?  Thanks for any assistance on this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DJP_46

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand you need information about the replacement ink cartridges for your printer,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Did you happen to check the User guide or any HP Articles for the information you've been looking for? if not, Click here for details.

Also, to answer your question you don't need the original setup cartridge as mentioned on the link above.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DJP_46

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand you need information about the replacement ink cartridges for your printer,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Did you happen to check the User guide or any HP Articles for the information you've been looking for? if not, Click here for details.

Also, to answer your question you don't need the original setup cartridge as mentioned on the link above.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you.
HP Recommended

@DJP_46

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I didn't need information about replacement cartridges.  I had already ordered and replaced the cartridges.  The setup cartridge that came with the new printer has a message on the cartridge that says the setup cartridge is required for setup.  

The question I was asking is:  Do I need to keep the original setup cartridge in case I have a computer crash, change computers, or change locations to be able to set up the printer again?   When I was searching the forum for an answer before posing this question, I saw posts from individuals who were trying to set up the printer and did not have the original setup cartridge and could not set the printer up.   If the cartridge is required for setup, then it seems that I would need to keep the setup cartridge.   

HP Recommended

Hi! @DJP_46, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for your response and time.

As you mentioned getting setup cartridge is required for setup on your printer.

Make sure the ink cartridges are correctly installed

Also, resetting the printer can resolve an ink cartridge error.

1.Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. 

2.Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4.Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5.Wait at least 60 seconds.

6.Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

 note:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8.Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move. 

9.Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot SETUP Cartridge errors.

If the issue still persists, please contact HP phone support and get the setup cartridges for your printer.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Evidently there has been some miscommunication about my post. I didn't need any help with printer issues because There were no issues with my printer set up. I asked one question about whether I should keep the original setup cartridge and I answered that myself by reading posts from others who couldn't set the printer up without the setup cartridge. Usually, I recycle the printer cartridges through HP.com, but I will keep the original setup cartridge just in case I ever have to set up the printer again. That was the only question I asked. Thanks for the info though. My printer is working great but will check back to this post if I ever have any problems. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@DJP_46, Thanks for your quick response and time.

Setup Cartridges are especially designed to initialize a printer and calibrate ink levels. Unlike replacement ink cartridges, SETUP ink cartridges cannot be purchased from retailers and are available only in the box with a new printer or with some replacement printhead kits. When a SETUP ink cartridge is depleted, purchase and use a normal ink cartridge that matches your printer model to continue printing.

Refer this document to know more information about setup cartridges.

Hope this helps!

Take care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.