Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK, from another user on these forums (using the extreme power of forums): In the router settings disable the ICMP Protection so the Bonjour Service works.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

MY PRINTER IS HP OFFICEJET 4500 ALL-IN-ONE

HP Recommended

MY PRINTER IS HP OFFICEJET 4500 ALL-IN-ONE I HAVE COMCAST INTERNET MY ROUTER IS SB5120

HP Recommended

OK, what is the problem?  What operating system on your computer?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet 4500 G510g-m, and my OS is a Windows XP Professional. I am currently trying to install the wireless function on my printer (please keep in mind that this is for the company that I employed by, and being performed in the office that I work in - I simply work here, and have not made any of the decisions as far as choosing/setting up the OS, computer brand, this printer, or any internet providers/connections/setup/etc.).

I have read through several posts on the discussion boards regarding this matter and have gone about just about every recommended step except calling an HP Support professional via telephone.  Currently I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, have successfully setup every other aspect of this printer, but when I come to the wireless, I end up here:

Setup -> Network Setup -> (and these are my ONLY options from here) Reset Network -> (or) Advanced Setup

Choosing "Reset Network" gave me the options of "No" or "Yes", and pressing "OK" to either got me no where. Literally, pressing ok to both would just bring me to the other. So I just went on to "Advanced Setup".

With Advanced Setup i'm getting options "Set Link Speed", and "IP Settings". "Set Link Speed" is set to Automatic because I have no idea what that means. Then there's "IP Settings" which when chosed gives me the warning: "IP Warning: Changing the IP Address will remove the device from the network. Press OK.". So I press OK. Then I get "Automatic" or "Manual". Then it goes like this:

Automatic -> IP Settings -> (or) Set Link Speed. So we already know what that leads to.

Then theres's "Manual".

Manual -> IP Address -> (or) Subnet Mask -> (or) Default Gateway. And all three give me the options of entering the numbers in the form of 000.000.000.000, and changing any of the numbers to fit the correct IP Address and Subnet Mask.

My IP Address is 10.0.0.3, and my Subnet Mask if 255.255.255.0. How I am supposed to enter these numbers when my only option is adding them into the format of "000.000.000.000" is a mystery to me, but regardless this is what I am given. When I try to enter these numbers into the printer, with or without pressing OK when I am done, NOTHING happens. Nothing. I have the options of going back to where I started and that's it.

Keep in mind that I have tried all of the above with the USB cable plugged in/unplugged, the ethernet cable plugged in/unplugged, both plugged in at the same time, and both unplugged at the same time. I have experienced the same thing in any combination of those. Also my HP Solution Center is up to date on updates, and so is my printer.

Please help. I've had this printer for a year now, I have tried and failed at setting this up about 50 times.

HP Recommended

It sounds like you do not have a wireless version of this printer.

See the attached....

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Fair enough. Thank you for your help.

Just out of curiousity though, my printer is connected directly to my router via ethernet cable. Shouldn't I be able to see/use it from other computers that are wirelessly hooked up to the same network?

HP Recommended

Yup, that configuration should work just fine.  If it does not, perhaps you router has some wired/wireless bocking enabled. This is often called Isolation or AP Isolation.  Look for it in the router settings and disable it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
I am having trouble installing my wireless HP printer
HP Recommended

In the set up process, I try to enter numbers for my password and I only get letters.  How can I enter numbers?

I don't see a shift key or anything else.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.