Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I understand from other individual's posts that MAC isn't a good security measure, but all I really need right now is to understand how to add the MAC address of the printer (which was displayed in the Wireless Network Test Report from my HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z All-in-One series) to the list of permitted devices for my wireless router.

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I understand from other individual's posts that MAC isn't a good security measure, but all I really need right now is to understand how to add the MAC address of the printer (which was displayed in the Wireless Network Test Report from my HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z All-in-One series) to the list of permitted devices for my wireless router.

Thank You!!

HP Recommended

MAC filtering is NO security measure against anyone who wants to get into your system for malicious reasons.

That said, the MAC address list is kept in your router settings.  Type the router's IP address into a browser to access.

Let me know what brand/model router and I can help.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

@Varadian wrote:

Thank you!

How do I find my routers IP address?

HP Recommended

Your router's IP  address (known as the gateway address) is the same as your printer's IP address only with a '1' after the last period instead of the number your printer has.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

@Varadian wrote:

Thank you!

HP Recommended

An easy way to do it is to turn off MAC filtering on your router, then any device that knows the wifi password can join.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

fine, but how do I turn off MAC filtering on my router?

HP Recommended

It depends on the brand/model of router. What are you using?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

@puddy3556 wrote:

fine, but how do I turn off MAC filtering on my router?

You access your routers admin pages and turn it off.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.