Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have recently changed wireless service providers and now my wireless printer is not  working. I can only get it to connect using the USB cable but can't set it up wirelessly. I have tried using the set up CDs and connecting the printer via ethernet to my router and making the computer search for a wireless device but search results come up empty. My OS is Windows 7, please help!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Unfortunatly, Win 7 only supports this printer via USB, not a network connection.  You may still be able to get it working, however.

Reset the printer:

1. Verify that the printer is powered on.

2. Press and hold down the Report Page button.

3. While holding down the Report Page button, press the Cancel button three times.

4. Release the Report Page button.

Now, plug into your router via Ethernet and navigate to its Embedded Web Server (EWS) by typing its IP address into a browser.  You can get the printer's IP address by pushing the self-test button at the bottom of the front panel.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I tried using the IP address which it says is 0.0.0.0 but my browser isn't accepting it..

HP Recommended

Oh, 0.0.0.0 means that it did not get an IP from the router.  Using an Ethernet cable (not USB) connected between the printer and router.

Restart the printer, then restart the router by removing it power momentarily.  Your printer should receive an IP of 192.168.X.X or 10.0.X.X.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thanks, I got an actual IP address 192.168.1.100, only problem is when I type it into my browser it still says it can't find the page...

HP Recommended

I managed to reset the printer and get the actual IP adress but it doesn't print unless the ethernet cable is connected between the two, is there any way to make it completely wireless or is this as good as it gets?

HP Recommended

Between the two what?  Printer to router?

Actually the 6940 does not have wifi, only bluetooth wireless, which is very different and not compatible with your wireless router.  I doubt you could get it to print through your PC bluetooth, either.  I think this is as good as it gets with this old printer.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
@Jon Goss wrote:

I have recently changed wireless service providers and now my wireless printer is not  working. I can only get it to connect using the USB cable but can't set it up wirelessly. I have tried using the set up CDs and connecting the printer via ethernet to my router and making the computer search for a wireless device but search results come up empty. My OS is Windows 7, please help!

HP Recommended

You quoted the original poster - is that your same problem?  Did you read post #2 above?

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.