Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently bought the officejet 6500 printer from costco. Initially I connected it through a USB from my personal laptop and followed the instructions from the CD. I have also enabled the wireless on the printer. Now I am trying to connect to the printer from my office laptop. I have not installed anything on my office laptop. I just went under Control Panel, Printers and tried to add this printer. I am assuming that since the printer is already enabled for wireless, I thought I will be able to see this when I add a printer. When I tried to add the printer its asking me for an URL. I tried getting the network config page from the officejet 6500 printer, but the URL does not work. Do I have to install the CD that came along with the officejet 6500 printer on my offcelaptop to make it work? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@hanleyn, I would be glad to assist you with this problem. 

You will need to go to your settings on the printer. 

1. Choose Network Settings.

2. Select Wireless Setup Wizard

After you go through these steps, you will need to get on the computer and update the IP address. (It would be located on the printer under Network Configuration Page).

Then go to the computer. 

1. Click Start Menu

2. Choose All Program

3. Select the HP folder

4. Go to the computer name

5. Click on UPDATE IP ADDRESS or Wireless configuration. 

6. Put the new ip address in the spot. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

when installing a wireless printer, make sure you run the Wireless Setup Wizard in the printer. after it gets connected to the network, print the network configuration page. take note of the ip address.

try to ping the printer first. if you get 4 replies, then you can install the software.

HP Recommended

Do you have a wireless-network setup or are you trying to connect directly from your laptop to the printer wirelessly?

If you have a wireless-network, you need to run the Wireless Setup Wizard from the printer's front panel (press Setup, then select Network, then Wireless Setup Wizard) to connect the printer to your wireless network.

If you don't have a wireless-network, you'll need to connect your laptop to the printer using the printer's Ad-Hoc wireless network.  To do this, turn on the printer's radio (select setup, then select Network, then Radio and select On).

Finally, run the setup program from the HP printer SW CD to finish the installation.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

:OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

My Laptop is a GatewayASUSP5LD2

HP Recommended

How  to wireless connect my ASUSP5LD2 Laptop with my hp650000A Printer ?

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Just bought a new router...Cisco Linksey E4200 and having a hard time to connect.

HP Recommended

I was recently given a HP Officejet 6500 but they did not have the CD to install it to my computer. Does anyone have one they are not using that would mail it to me or tell me how I can get one.

HP Recommended
What is the full model number of the printer, E709a, E709n, E710a, or E710n?

What OS are you using?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.