Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Everytime I try to print cardstock, it doesn't recognize the paper and says that the tray is out of paper.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

ok had the exact same prob as everyone else on this forum- just talked to an awesome lady at tech support "Melissa" at HP services and she solved the issue and low and behold it was super simple...to solve this issue with this model make sure that your printing perferences under the actual printer and the program you are using are set to "cardstock" - meaning...

click on start menu open your printer preferences by right clicking icon and selecting printer preferences -under paper/quality tab be sure to change your paper type to "cardstock" under media- also if you are printing with microsoft office/word/ serif or which ever program you are using make sure the media or paper type is also selected to the cardstock as well. Should work then- ours did:) 🙂 🙂 Good Luck to all!

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

How do I print cardstock on this printer?  It doesn't recognize the paper and keeps saying it is out of paper.

HP Recommended

Does the printer have problems feeding plain paper or is it just the card stock? Which printer do you have?

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
HP Recommended

I have the same problem as the original poster - it prints fine on regular paper,  but 99% of the time, even when I set it up as printing card stock, it tells me it's out of paper.

HP Recommended

I also have the same problem with cardstock. Very disappointed.

HP Recommended

When you are printing on the card stock, did you change the print setting/paper type to card stock? the printer pick mechanism adjusts the torque based on the paper type.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
HP Recommended

Yes, I set it to Card Stock. Have also tried setting it to Thick Paper. It prints maybe one card stock attempt per 30. It's infuriating, I use a lot of card stock and am going to need to return the printer if there is no solution.

HP Recommended

I'm on my third 8600 Pro (two were a replacements and one was an upgrade to Plus)  None of them can print cardstock even though the specs state that they can. 

I tried using 110lb as I do with my other older HP printers and bought some 65lb to no avail

Lousy printers for cardstock

HP Recommended

It's easy if you know how:   Always use tray 1   AND select "thick plain paper"  as your medium, NOT

"cardstock."  It works!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the idea but I'm on my third printer and none will print card stock.  The two were 8600 and the third is a Plus and all only have 1 input tray which is probably the hardware problem that I'm having.  The Premium seems to be what is needed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.