Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Are you getting an error when trying to restart the print spooler?  Did your printer spooler error out and now won't restart?

Have you seen "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."?

There is a Microsoft support page with information about this error that can be found here.

According to Microsoft:

• Cause: The ServiceBase class calls the OnStop method directly from the Service command handler that is defined in the ScDispatcherLoop of the Advapi32.dll file. After 30 seconds, if the ScDispatcherLoop thread is not ready to receive a new service command from the service control manager, Windows Service Controller marks the service as "time out." Therefore, you receive this error message.
  • Resolution: To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for the Microsoft .NET Framework.

This resolution does work for some and allows the service to return to proper functionality.  However, I would like to provide some workaround steps incase this option does not work for some.  

• Open the Run command by selecting it under the start menu or by pressing the Windows Key (left of alt) + R
  • Type services.msc and press Enter
  • Scroll down and double left click on Print Spooler
  • Select the Log On tab
  • Uncheck the box for Allow service to interact with desktop
  • Click Apply
  • Select the General Tab for the Print Spooler and select Start

I have confirmation that this workaround solution does work for some users.  The link below will take you to a thread where this information solved this error for a user in these forums:

error 1053 print spooler won't start thread

Below is the video where the workaround steps, listed above, were found.  The video also gives a graphical representation of these steps for those that prefer visual instructions.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I hope this helps users with the 1053 Print Spooler Error.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I hope this helps users with the 1053 Print Spooler Error.

I am not an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.