Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Deskjet All-in-One F4180, and I would like to connect it to my router for use over a network of PC's (one laptop and one desktop - both with wireless capabilities).  While the PC's are not hooked directly into the router, the printer could be if needed.  However, I don't think that this printer is network ready (there is no Ethernet card or port on the printer), and I'm not sure how to procede.  Is a network server required for the printer, or is there a cable that can connect the printer directly to the router through the USB port.  Please excuse my ignorance - this is the first time I have tried to set up a home network.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Often these USB ports only support USB hard drives, not printers.  Consult your router's manual, but I doubt it is set up for printing.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

First of all, a wireless router can connect devices via wireless (obviously) or wired (Ethernet) connections.  All devices can communicate with each other regardless of how they are connected to the router.

Second, your printer is USB only and has no direct network access.  There are ways to connect it to a router, however, these types of "adapters" only support printing, not scanning, so you would lose the scan function of your printer (but you can still copy).  These adapters are not cheap.  In fact, for just a little more money you could just go buy a wireless printer that can attach to your router with both print and scan supported.

Do you already have a router?  If so, what is it?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Hi

I have the same prolem.

Iwish to connect my printer HP Deskjet F4180 to my router Netgear VVG2000.

This router has a USB por, but I cannot see it on my network after installation.

/rsimonsen85

HP Recommended

Often these USB ports only support USB hard drives, not printers.  Consult your router's manual, but I doubt it is set up for printing.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know how to mark the post as 'accepted solution'.

HP Recommended

hi,

my problem is similiar, its the same printer, and i installed and configured on a pc with windows xp and all is fine is printing. im trying print from a mac os 10.5.8 pc already is fine but the printer queue status is printing and my printer doesnt print.

my router and print server are tp-link, the windows pc and de mac os pc are configured like this links says:

http://www.tp-link.com/us/article/?articleid=347

thanks for reply...

HP Recommended

Let's reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Fax
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.