Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks for that but it only works on very rare occasions - I've not been able to get past the 'initializing' stage for months now so it stays switched off - complete waste of money!  Its only managed to print one document (once) by chance and went straight back to initializing immediately after.

Why you can't program in some reset functionallity when you hold the on/off button down for a while? Why can't you program in some kind of reset when its been 'initialzing' for more than say 10 minutes; surely the printer software should be able to determine how long its been in this state and you can code some break-out?

The stated 'hard reset' procedure is nothing of the sort - is just a power off and wait, and wait ... and if you are really lucky and extremely patient you just might get it back after many such resets!  Who has the time to go through a 10 or so minute process over and over again - who the hell should? The **bleep** thing should print - thats what I bought it for - I didnt buy it to sit there waiting for it to dicide to bless me with the odd few minutes of printer functionallity!

As a solution its pants, and the printer is not fit for purpose plain and simple.

HP Recommended

Hi Reddol,

I hate to hear you are having issues.  There are several resets that can be performed depending on the type of printer.  If the printer will not initialize, a hardware issue may be present.  I need a bit more information to assist.  Please let me know the below information, I would be happy to attempt to resolve this issue for you. If you would like more information about HP products, Click Here

Needed information:

1. What is the exact model of printer?

2. Has the unit ever initialized completely (full alignment completed and printed alignment page)?

3. Have any error messages displayed on the product or computer?

Regards,

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
I appreciate your input !
Thank You,
I work for HP.
HP Recommended

Printer is a Photosmart Prem C310 series [CE32FA]

Yes it worked fine for the first few months and then started playing up.  No it does not display any error messages - just 'printer initializing' - as stated this even happened AFTER it printed a document!

HP Recommended

Hi Reddol,

Sorry for the delayed response.  There are several reasons the printer could be behaving this way.  It could be due to an issue with the print head, however many units will re-initialize for regular maintenance.  The behavior described for your unit does not appear to be for regular maintenance.  Please see the below steps that may resolve the issue.

Initial step: make sure the product firmware is up to date. Click Here to verify the unit is set to update automatically, and confirm the latest firmware is flashed to the unit.

1. With power on disconnect the unit.  Leave the power cord unplugged from the unit and wall outlet, to completely discharg the power block.  While this is unplugged complete the below steps.

2. Gather distilled water, and a lent free cloth

3. Manually remove the print head.  Clean the contacts of the print head as well as the contact areas inside the printer. Note: do not touch the nozzles as it will cause damage. Click Here for detailed instructions for this process.

4. Inspect internal components of printer for cleanliness ( front, back, carriage area, all input/output trays, etc.).  Check all compartments to verify dirt, debris or paper bits are not inside the unit.  If debris are found or the rollers appear dirty clean them with the water and cloth.

5. Verify cartridges are genuine non-refilled HP inks.  Verify the ink is properly vented, by examining the vent on the cartridge.  On the top of the cartridge near the HP logo there will be a vent.  This should look like a little T, make sure it is not damaged or clogged/closed.   

6. Close all doors/ covers, and reconnect the power.  It will go through initialization due to the steps taken above. After initialization completes, test functionality as well as a power cycle or hard reset to  see if the issue returns.

If the unit is still experiencing issues we can restore defaults or complete a semi-full reset that will clear the memory of the printer.  If successful the semi-full will erase all stored data on the printer and return the unit to factory settings. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, I can send the steps for the reset in a private message. This would require you to agree not to publish the steps to complete the reset. Let me know what you decide. 

Hope this helps!

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.
Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.
Thank You,
I work for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Reddol,

Are you still experiencing issues?  Have you had time to complete the previous steps?

Regards, 

Thank You,
I work for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi

My printer is hpdeskjet 845c.

the serial number is {Personal Information Removed}.

I have had this printer since 2002.

In April, I had this problem. I fixed it by refilling both ink cartridges, then I did the hard reset which was "disconnect all the cables connected to the printer & reconnected them after 60 seconds."

This solved that problem at that time.

This problem has returned even though I've done the hard reset in the same way & timing.

The printer power off & 10 seconds wait before power on didn't work either.

Restarting the whole computer doesn't fix the problem either. 

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

The Hard Reset did not resolve my problem. I use HP ink products.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Even turning printer & computer off at power point does not work.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi, I am a HP all-in-one c310a user.

Yesterday, the main power was unplugged by mistake and it never turned on properly thereafter, showing "initializing" for hours.  I tried the "wall outlet" approach, which did not work.  Is it possible to receive the instruction on how to reset the printer via e-mail?

HP Recommended

Hi

The last time I had this problem I was asked about the ink levels. At that time I made sure that the ink levels were full.  But that was 5 months ago.

Thanks in advance

Craig Baker 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.