Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Hello!

I bought this printer about a month ago. I set up the wireless for the printer with my wifi, and my understanding was that the printer is password protected just like my wifi, and uses the same password in order to print something. I have kept my printer plugged in, and in "sleep" mode since I set it up. Last night at about 11pm when I was in bed, the printer randomly turned on and printed out a "wireless network configuration page" which had a bunch of information on it including the IP address as well as listing my wifi name and the wifi names of my neighbors in the surrounding apartments.

I am trying to figure out why this printed, because I certainly didn't do it. Does someone have access to my wifi, or was someone maybe just trying to print something and selected my printer since it would show up on the "connections available list on anybody's computer, since the printer was turned on? How could they print this network configuration sheet if my printer is password protected?

I am mostly concerned about someone having access to my internet if they were able to somehow print out this page, but maybe it just happened when they were trying to connect to it, and it didn't work so they tried to troubleshoot MY printer?

I'd appreciate any insight on the issue.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @printerprob5540,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

I saw your post on how your HP Envy 5540 randomly printed a Network Configuration Page. I am happy to help you with this issue! 

I find this very odd considering the only way to print this Network Configuration Page, as far as I know, is with these steps: 

• Make sure there is U.S. Letter or A4 size, unused, plain paper in the input tray.
  • On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup .
  • Touch Tools.
  • Swipe up on the display, and then touch Network Configuration Report.
  • A Network Configuration Page prints up to three pages of information.
Figure : Example of a Network Configuration Page

A Network Configuration Page lists important network settings such as network status and the printer IP address.

Are you sure no one else, physically went to the printer, and printed out the report? 

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on Accept as Solution on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

Hope this answers your question! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @printerprob5540,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

I saw your post on how your HP Envy 5540 randomly printed a Network Configuration Page. I am happy to help you with this issue! 

I find this very odd considering the only way to print this Network Configuration Page, as far as I know, is with these steps: 

• Make sure there is U.S. Letter or A4 size, unused, plain paper in the input tray.
  • On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup .
  • Touch Tools.
  • Swipe up on the display, and then touch Network Configuration Report.
  • A Network Configuration Page prints up to three pages of information.
Figure : Example of a Network Configuration Page

A Network Configuration Page lists important network settings such as network status and the printer IP address.

Are you sure no one else, physically went to the printer, and printed out the report? 

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on Accept as Solution on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

Hope this answers your question! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for the response. I live alone and was laying in bed awake when the printer turned on across the room. The only thing it could possibly be is that my cat touched the touch screen with his paw!

To be safe in case of a wireless issue I changed my wifi name and password.

Thanks for giving me an explanation of the situation!

HP Recommended

I have the same  problem. Went I came home it print 10 copy's so that's 20 sheets of paper and I'm on that instant ink program at suck.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The same thing is happening to my printer which I installed in the past month.  My printer is printing out nightly  HP Network Configuration Pages, without my initiation.

Have you found a solution?

Thank you,

Nancy

HP Recommended

Did you find a solution to the random printing of the Network Configuration Page?

HP Recommended

Mine is printing out 20 a night !!  How did you stop it ? 

HP Recommended

Hi 

how did you stop this ?  Mine is printing out 20 copies a night 

HP Recommended

@Danthetan

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.