Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp4620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have followed all of the steps on hp's website including using authentic hp cartridges, cleaned heads, uninstalled & reinstalled printer, returned new cartridge & replaced with another new cartridge & still, the printer will not print black. My last resort, I currently unplugged it hoping that it will reset itself... HELP!
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @HP4620Trouble,

Welcome to the HP community.  A Good day to you. 🙂 I read the post regarding the printer not printing in black. It will be a delight to assist you.

Superb description and very smart diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 You are an important HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. . I also take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Have you tried to make copies in black from the printer directly?
  • Did you try to update the printer firmware and check?
  • Is it an Officejet 4620 or Deskjet 4620?

For now please perform a hard reset on the printer from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-4620-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5101229/model/5101... and follow step one only. It looks like a hardware issue with the printer.

Then please try to make a few copies directly from the printer without any intervention from the computer. Please place the required document face down on the flatbed scanner and touch the copy button. If it copies fine, then the issue could be software related.

If it fails to copy, then please contact HP phone support to get the printer replaced or upgraded as there is a hardware issue with the printer.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

If it copies correctly in black, then please perform all the prescribed steps from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-4620-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5101229/model/5101... if it has not been done already. (You could ignore it if you’ve performed the steps.)

Finally if nothing works, please uninstall the printer software completely by performing these steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.

Then install the built-in printer drivers from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879 and check if it does the trick.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
OfficeJet. I actually ran the alignment process and after it asked that I place the printed page on the glass as directed. Finally, it told me it could not find the alignment sheet.

It was working just fine until I put a new cartridge in, and even after the 2nd new cartridge is am getting no where.

I actually do not have the printer near me at this time, but will try your suggestions above when I have some time to spend with the printer.
HP Recommended
Sadly, the customer service agent at the retail location where I have and recently purchased the hp cartridge was not surprised because when she looked in my bag she knew without my telling her that the cartridge did not print, as I had not been the first to request an exchange...
HP Recommended
I have done Everything! Very Upset! Worked fine until I changed cartridges
HP Recommended

Hello, @HP4620Trouble

Thanks for the update! I will be glad to assist you 🙂

Going through your post, I see that you have performed all the relevant steps to tackle this issue. I will only as you to clean the print head more than once if possible. I have seen in the past this fixing few customer who faced similar issues. Hence, try cleaning the print head 2 -3 times and check for the black print.

If the issue persists, then I would recommend you contact the HP phone support for a printer service or an upgrade.

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
I have lost count on how many times I have cleaned the heads and have gotten the rubbing alcohol out to clean the cartridge and the cartridge holder.

😈
HP Recommended

Hello, @HP4620Trouble

Thanks for the update!

I was referring to the automatic cleaning of the print head. Not the manual cleaning. If not done already, here are the steps:

1. Load plain, white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, press the Setup icon .

3. Press the button  next to the arrow  until Tools displays next to OK.

4. Press the button next to OK to select Tools, and then press the button next to the arrow  until Clean Printhead displays next to OK.

5. Press the button next to OK to clean the printheads.

6. You might need to perform this activity more than once to get a desired output.

If this does not help, then please contact the HP phone support for further assistance.

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
So, once again I followed your instructions:
Finally if nothing works, please uninstall the printer software completely by performing these steps:
In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
Select your HP printer.
Select Uninstall.
In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
Click on Drivers tab.
Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
Select OK.
Remove all instances of the same.

Once again, it was a total waste of time.

Why is this happening?
HP Recommended

Hi @HP4620Trouble,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Since you've done exhaustive and copious diagnostics and the issue continues, I request you to contact HP phone support to try and correct the situation.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.