Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
D110a
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I can't get my cartridges to align. It's cumbersome to scan & I haven't found a workaround to print.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve the alignment issues you are having with your Photosmart d110 printer.  Once the alignment completes successfully it should not be required again until a cartridge is changed.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob, thank you for responding. after going through the alignment process & failing again, I believe I've identified my problem. I'm guessing my color cartridge is empty. I only use this printer to print documents, so only have need for black ink. Can I run this thing with an empty color cartridge?

HP Recommended

The Photosmart d110 can print with an empty color cartridge, but the alignment will fail.  You can even print (but not copy) with the color cartridge removed completely as shown on page 22 of the user manual here, in the section discussing "Ink Backup Mode".

I do not know of a way around the alignment page printing unless the process succeeds.   You might try the following to squeeze just a bit of color (maybe enough to print the alignment page):  get a coffee cup and put 1" of very hot (not boiling) water in it.  Put the cartridge nozzles down in the cup and let it soak for about five minutes.  Remove the cartridge and clean the cartridge contacts with a lint free wipe - a clean coffee filter works well. Let the printhead sit with the nozzles facing down for about five minutes, then put the cartridge back in the printer and let the alignment page print.  With luck this will have some color print that may be enough to complete the process.

Some models would "give up" on the alignment after thrree failed alignment attempts, I do not know if the d110 will do this.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob, I have the cartridge soaking in hot water as we speak. If this doesn't allow me to complete a successful alignment, I'm going out to buy a new color cartridge. hopefully, that will take care of it.

You've been very helpful. thanks again.

Jim

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.