Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

You're quite brave to even consider trying to fix, or rather replace that gear assembly.  I've actually got two c5280 printers in my trunk ready to be dropped off at the nearest recycling center. Since I'm not that mechanically inclined, I'm always on Craig's List looking for a spare/backup c5280 or...a c5580 (almost the exact same printer). My present one's working  well at the  moment...thankfully. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you. You sound like you probably know more than I do, about the glitches in these printers.

All I can do...is wish you good luck. And I mean that. Sure is frustrating...isn't it?

HP Recommended

I was lucky enough to fix my printer but as you said, it is not easy if you do not find a replacement station.

First I purchased some plastic pinions from the internet (ServoCity.com). Those were really not expensive ($1.84 each) and they arrived in a couple of days.

Part Number: SPBD32-33-15, 15-tooth, 3/16" Bore diameter, 32 Pitch.

Then I had to trim it to fit, which I did with my small grinder (garage) tool.  Then I took the metallic shaft and drilled a transversal 1/16" hole in order to put a steel pin so that the pinion does not slide. That was difficult as the shaft metal is really hard. I had to cut a small slot for the pin across the pinion. The pin only protudes from one side of the shaft like 1mm or so. I think something like this was missing in the original design.  Printer works very fine now. Not sure if it will last but I have extra pinions just in case...

For the shafting pin I just broke the same 1/16" drill bit and cut the little pin from it.  A small grinder at home is THE Tool!

HP Recommended

Hi Member 27,

After several failed attempts to repair the cracked gear in my copier, I stumbled across your post.  I did use a gear from

Servo City, however it was not the same as what you used.  I ended up using part #RMPA32-15.  It is a flat nylon pinion gear

with a 5/64 diameter bore.  The only alteration needed was to enlarge the hole using a #15 (.180) bit.  This allowed a press

fit exactly like the original.  I enlarged the hole in about five steps using gradually larger drill bits to avoid drilling the hole off-center.  I did it on a drill press for greater accuracy but it can probably be done without a press as long as care is taken to keep the hole straight.  Using stepped bit sizes will help ensure this.  The copier is working fine now. 

I was determined not to let planned obsolescence win, especially not a two-bit gear.  It's very unsportsmanlike, to say the least, of HP not to supply a part that is known to shut down so many otherwise good units.  I am sure that their own service techs have informed them of the problem and their indifference to it speaks volumes. 

Thanks for your post, as it pointed me in the right

direction.  I hope that my input will also help save someone some grief and $.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.