Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am unable to print from my HP Photosmart  C4280 all in one printer due to a message that reads incompatible cartridges.  I have tried replacing the cartridges but this problem still exists.  Can anyone suggest as to how to fix this problem? Thanks!

HP Recommended

@dowlingpatricia wrote:

I am unable to print from my HP Photosmart  C4280 all in one printer due to a message that reads incompatible cartridges.  I have tried replacing the cartridges but this problem still exists.  Can anyone suggest as to how to fix this problem? Thanks!

Try the troubleshooting steps in this page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I received this same message, so removed the new catridge and replaced it with the old one and still received the same message. I've tried all the other suggested options. What else should I try?

HP Recommended

HP don't care.  It's blindingly obvious, from the exhorbitant price they charge for print cartridges which stop working before they are anywhere near empty to the self-satisfied tone of the inane messages which keep popping up telling me I've turned my printer off.  I know I've turned it off.  I DON'T need to know the computer does!

All HP are interested in is greed.  And corporate greed is the worst, because it is depersonalised.  All the attempts to make themselves look as if they actually care about their customers (or the environment etc.) induce little more than nausea and reinforce one's resolve never to buy one of their products again.  But then all these companies are the same...

HP Recommended

Hi Corporategreed

Does the 'printer off' message keep popping up? Do you have a PS C4480?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I have an HP 60 cartridge like I've always used. It worked fine yesterday. Now today as I turn on the printer, I get a message that I have an "incompatible catridge".

What gives? Are HP cartridges now incompatible.

HP Recommended

@donlj wrote:

I have an HP 60 cartridge like I've always used. It worked fine yesterday. Now today as I turn on the printer, I get a message that I have an "incompatible catridge".

What gives? Are HP cartridges now incompatible.

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system?  Cleaning the cartridge and printer contacts as described here may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Wow - thank you for your complaint!  I have the same printer, same problem now.  I was tempted to purchase another cartridge last night, until I talked with a tech at Staples.  He suggested to reinstall the printer program, so I must look to find the original downloading disk.  I'll be back to let you know if that worked.  Otherwise, I think we are all in the same boat, without a printer.

HP Recommended

Hi tinyterri,

Can you please let me know the current Operating system you are running, also can you confirm that you are using the HP Photosmart C4480. I will watch for your reply so I can send you the link to the updated software and drivers.

Thanks in advance,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I kept googling and found this on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru38ePExk8s  it worked.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.