Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

If the error is still there then you have an internal hardware problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

well.... crap

not what we wanted to hear 😞

just got new ink really don'twant to hunt down a printer that uses same cartridges... let alone have to go out and buy a new printer..

HP Recommended
Install a color cartridge and a black cartridge. Do not leave one out.
HP Recommended

it's been working fine for well over a year as a Single Cartridge mode printer.

it's only when my dad was too lazy to turn his printer on to print his passport renewal papers on his printer and we had to use ours did this happen.

HP Recommended
Well I would install all the cartridges like the troubleshooting instructions say before buying a new printer. Just sayin'...
HP Recommended

ChantalB, you are using a HP black cartridge?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

well thankfully for us they tosed in a free colour, put that one in, still got the Ink Cartridge Problem for the BLACK.

so i took that one out and now it doesn't have the message anymore.

so i am guessing that means an Internal Hardware Problem on the Black Cartridge side?

HP Recommended

I would guess that too.

Edit - Not unheard of to have a defective new cartridge.

HP Recommended

yup

HP Recommended

@sabretooth04 wrote:

I would guess that too.

Edit - Not unheard of to have a defective new cartridge.

yes but this is 2 seperate black cartridge orders. one was nearing empty when we got the original cartridge error message, the other one was a brand new ink.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.