Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP deskjet 2540 all in one pri
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

I have recently charge my ink cartridge and it will not allow me to use a non HP cartridge. I have had no problem in the past using non HP cartridges  . I have looked at the problems with a software update in September which seems to have caused a few problems. I have update my printer but i am still having problems printing. it is still showing error message of 'ink cartridge failure'

help please

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

That model printer never had a firmware issue with not accepting non hp cartridges.   Looks like you need to find a better manufacturer of the cartridges to use.   To verify install HP cartridges to see if that resolves you issue.

HP Recommended

There were no Deskjet printers in the September updates related to third party cartridges. 

For your case I would suggest going the troubleshooting steps in the document here, cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown step 4 may resolve the issue.  Please go through all the steps in order.  

If the above steps do not resolve the issue I suggest you contact your supplier for a replacement cartridge.  [Third party cartridge failures are not uncommon, see the study here for comparisons of HP cartridges vs. third party cartridges.]

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.