Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi,

When I purchased my F4480, I thought it was a wireless printer.  I currently have a Mac Desktop Power PC G4 running Tiger (10.4.11), and a windows laptop running XP Pro. The printer is connected via USB to the Mac, and I was trying to set up wireless printing on the laptop. After several hours of trying, Googling, and searching the manual, I finally decided to post here.

Question 1 Can this be done? (if the answer is no, then "thank you" and I'll be on my way...)

Question 2 If yes, and having already installed the necessary drivers on my laptop, what is the next step?

Sorry for being such an idiot. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The F4400 series (of which your F4480 is part) has USB connectivity only.  The F4500 series has USB and wireless.

But, with the printer attached to your Mac you can share the printing function (but not scanning) between computers across your network.  To make this work download and install Bonjour for Windows for your XP from here.  If your XP already has a version of Bonjour (installed by iTunes), uninstall it before installing this version.

Run it and it will find the printer attached to your Mac.  Make sure your Mac is on and that it is set to never sleep (System Preferences > Energy Saver).

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The F4400 series (of which your F4480 is part) has USB connectivity only.  The F4500 series has USB and wireless.

But, with the printer attached to your Mac you can share the printing function (but not scanning) between computers across your network.  To make this work download and install Bonjour for Windows for your XP from here.  If your XP already has a version of Bonjour (installed by iTunes), uninstall it before installing this version.

Run it and it will find the printer attached to your Mac.  Make sure your Mac is on and that it is set to never sleep (System Preferences > Energy Saver).

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Is the HP DeskJet F4480 set up for wireless printing?

Also does it work with Windows 7?

I have been trying but it doesn't work

can you help me please

and Thank You

HP Recommended

No, its USB only.  It will work with WIn7 via USB.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Ok, Bonjour is only for windows, not Mac, so how do I install a windows software on the mac.....that can't be the way, can it?

HP Recommended

Uh, no, Bonjour is built into (modern) Macs.  You don't have to install Bonjour on a Mac, it is part of the operating system.

Tell me what you are trying to do and I'll try to help.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Is this printer set up for wirless printing.  please give instructions

HP Recommended

Download and install the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
I'm trying to hook the hpdeskjetF4480 to my android smartphone
HP Recommended
Will you help me to solve this problem that I have hooking the hpdeskjetF4480 up to my android smartphone
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.