Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OJ Pro 8630

I am having the same issues with vertical lines printing on anything I scan or copy from the document feeder. I have unplugged the printer (hard reboot) and waited 5+ minutes before plugging back in to the wall socket. Still have lines. What is the suggestion that was posted to so many people's PM? Why can't someone copy that so everyone has access to the solution? Please help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ARJackson

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Officejet Pro 8630 printer. I understand that you are getting vertical lines while scanning or copying and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Print a quality test page and check if you are still getting vertical lines.

Meanwhile:

• Clean the scanner.
  • Clean the ADF rollers.
  • Reset the printer.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps to fix this issue.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The usual culprit in this issue is a tiny piece of paper caught in the window slit that the document feeder uses when copying or scanning.

Lift the cover to expose the scanner glass.  Look at the extreme end under the ADF for a slit of a window the same width as the glass.

Place a doc that has the line(s) next to it, most likely face down.  Look in the slit window for a piece of paper that aligns where the stripes are on the printout.

Clean the glass with a soft cloth, compressed air can, or brush.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Solution did not work. Very annoying to have to scan one page at a time.

HP Recommended

A line only when using the ADF is typically caused by a small spec on the thin glass to the left of the main bed.

The same sensor is used for both the flatbed scan and the automatic document feeder (ADF), the difference is where the sensor is located.  When scanning from the flatbed the sensor moves across the bed.  When using the ADF the sensor is moved to the thin glass to the left of the main bed, and the paper is moved past the sensor by the ADF.  Clean this areas as shown below.

If the initial cleaning does not resolve the issue it may help to shine a bright flashlight nearly parallel to the glass.  For a line on the left side of the printed page the spot will be toward the front of the printer, if the line is on the right of the paper it will correspond to a spec toward the rear of the printer.

Figure : Clean the ADF scanner glass strip
Image: Locate debris on  the ADF scanner glass strip.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.