Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro L7780 All-in-One
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

I have a L7780 All-in-One. When I try to print a document, I receive the message that the "K" cartridge needs to be replaced.  There is no K cartridge and I have always used official HP ink cartridges.  I shut it down and then it said the K cartridge was expired  and when I removed that from the screen, it went to "printer aligning" and didn't do anything.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
Welcome @jm100,

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! I see by your post that you getting the message that the "K cartridge needs to be replaced". I will certainly do my best to help you.

The K cartridge is referring to the black cartridge.
Try these steps to see if they will help resolve this issue. clean the contacts on the black cartridge and the contacts inside the printer with a cue tip. Leave the black cartridge out and power cycle the printer. This way the printer will check for missing cartridges. Then reinsert the black cartridge again.

If the issue continues, please contact  HP Customer Support and inquire about replacement cartridges. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

Feel free to click on the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up" for my assistance. Please let me know the results and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

All cartridges must be in the printer at all times. Dry-firing the printhead can damage it, which in an IIC printer like yours (separate printheads and cartridges) could necessitate replacement of the printhead. (HP thermal inkjet printing technology relies on tiny resistors in the printhead to rapidly heat ink, causing bubbles to form and burst out of the nozzles at high speed. Firing the printhead with no ink will cause the printhead to overheat and fail.)

First, replace the K cartridge with a new one. Then print a print quality diagnostic page (see http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01957673). If the result has streaking, try cleaning the printhead. If this doesn't work, you'll need to replace the affected printhead. Note that this printer has two user-replaceable printheads: one for black-yellow and another for cyan-magenta.

I'm not an employee of HP—I'm just here to help.
If this post solved your problem, click Accept as Solution so that others can easily find it. If you found this post useful, be sure to say "thanks" by clicking the thumbs-up Kudos button.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.