Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I mainly use the L7680 to scan to memory from the front panel and very rarely use or need it for printing yet are always replacing expensive ink cartridges and are now are stuck with "The following print head has a problem black/yellow[K/Y]".  I have spent more than the price of the printer in replacing ink cartridges I do not use and now a print head problem.

I tried the HP troubleshooting steps at http://goo.gl/IRYiO  and also a reset.  Cleaning the print head  worked at one point but nothing I do not can get rid of the error message now.

Since I want to continue to use the L7680 for scanning, faxing and NOT printing how do I bypass the "Print Head" error message or any ink error messages for that matter so I can continue to use it for scanning.

The L7680 is useless once the print head error message appears.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi kyn2010,

There is no way to bypass error messages on the printer. You will need to replace the printhead having the issue if you want to continue using the printer for scanning and faxing. You might want to consider a standalone scanner which would not require ink or printheads to be replaced. Below is a link to the current scanners we have on shopping.hp.com.

Scanners

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

This should not be marked as solved since I asked how do I bypass the message.   This is a major bug and flaw for Fax and scanner functions to disable for any print issues.

HP really should come out with a software update to fix the glaring bug - flaw.   Fax and scan should never rely on the printer especially when they do not need it.

I barely even use the printer functions since I purchased it so i should not be needing a print head or be replacing ink cartridges in the first place.

A standalone scanner is not the answer to my needs.  It was HP Sales that recommended the L7680 and I told them it would be used primarily for scanning, fax 2nd and rarely for printing.

HP Recommended

Hi kyn2010,

This thread has not been marked as solved. I can understand your concern about using scanning and faxing, but with this higher end officejet Pro printer you will need to replace the printhead before you are able to use the printer. If the print head is worn out you will get this warning. The Print mechanism in this printer requires that the printheads to remain full of ink or they will dry out causing additional problems with the printer. 

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

"This thread has not been marked as solved."

It was, but thanks for unmarking until there is a solution.

"I can understand your concern about using scanning and faxing, but with this higher end officejet Pro printer you will need to replace the printhead before you are able to use the printer."

Like I said I use it primarily for scanning and faxing.  I do not want to use the printer.   Printing is not the reason why I purchased it nor the reason Sales recommended it.

If the print head is worn out you will get this warning. The Print mechanism in this printer requires that the printheads to remain full of ink or they will dry out causing additional problems with the printer.

I rarely have used it for printing so the print head should not be wearing out.  Since the scanner and fax is rendered unusable with any ink or print head error I have always kept up with replacing ink cartridges.  I have paid more than the price of the printer for ink I never use.

Can you please escalate this issue to software engineering so an update is available that provides the following:

1.  Allow fax and scan to memory functions to continue operate independently of printer.

2.  Allow bypassing of ink and print head error message on front panel of printer so that outbound fax and scan to memory or network functions continue to be available.

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi kyn2010, 

Unfortunately you will need to replace the printhead in order to continue using the printer. Below is a good explanation of the print mechanism designs, and what is required in order to keep them in good working condition. Your printer falls under the user replaceable printhead. With this printer there are ink lines which need to stay filled with ink this way the print head doesn't get clogged jets in turn causing poor print quality issues. 

This is by design for this Officejet Pro L7680. Sorry to hear a sales person told you this would be the ideal printer for fax and scanning, but I would have to assume they must have thought you were going to be using this printer to print as well. In the case that you want a scan/fax/printer this is one of the best printers for that purpose. If you just needed a scanner and fax you should consider a standalone scanner and fax unit. 

Note written by Bob_Headrick on thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Officejet-8500-won-t-print-Black-ink-only-if-o...

HP, like other printer manufacturers, offers printers with permanent printheads that require ink for all the colors to keep from damaging the printheads.  HP, like some other manufacturers, also offers printers with user replaceable printheads.  These may not require ink in all colors to print, although damage may occur if printing with empty cartridge.  Finally, HP like a few other manufacturers also offers printers with the printhead built into the ink supply.  It is replaced at each cartridge change.  These printers will happily print with a supply low, empty or for many models even removed completely.

Feel free to call HP support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I do not want to use the printer.  That is the whole point of posting.  I only wish to continue to use the scan and fax functions.  Again, I always replace the ink catridges even if I do not print and therefore should not have to be replacing the print head in the first place.  I took very good care of this printer and followed all the instructions to keep it in good working order.

"This is by design for this Officejet Pro L7680.

For the  printer, yes and that is okay. That makes perfect sense to protect the internal workings of the printer.  But for scan and fax I believe it is not by design and that it is a bug in the firmware.  The reason being is that if HP intentionally designed a product to disable separate fax and scan functions that operate independently of the printer then that would open then up to all kinds of bad press and things like false advertising.

Therefore I am asking again to please escalate this issue to software engineering so a firmware software update for the L7680 is released to fix the problem.

The fix should allow simply, bypass of printer related error messages so that scan (to memory and network), outbound fax and inbound fax (to memory and network) can continue to operate independently of the printer.

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi kyn2010, 

I saw your post and forwarded it to the right people for their review. You should hear back from someone shortly

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi kyn2010,

Did you ever get an answer from HP? If so, let me know as I would also really appreciate a solution.

As you noticed, few of the buttons on the printer will have any effect while the error message is displayed (only Power, Auto Answer and holding down the OK button for 5 seconds to move the printheads).

Contrary to what HP told you, you CAN still use the scanner even when an error message about the Officejet Pro L7680's printheads is displayed on the printer. You just have to do it from your computer instead of the printers control panel. I haven't tried sending a fax but I suspect it might work just as well for faxes sent from your computer.

If your printer is connected over a network, you can also scan using your browser. You'll need to know the printer's IP address. Just type that into your web browser. For example: http://192.168.1.200. From there, click on Webscan in the left navigation and you'll be able to scan.

I know this isn't exactly the solution you were looking for but I hope it helps. I'm not sure why the HP representative failed to offer you this information as I'm sure you would have found it useful.

Hope your Officejet Pro L7680 serves you for many more years.

Best regards,

Michael

Michael Milette

[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

Hi Michael,

You may still be able to scan or fax from the software, but in order to correct the error message on the printer control panel you will need to follow the document below.

'The Following Printhead has a problem' or 'The following printheads are missing or damaged, replace...

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.