Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M125nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is far from critical but is very annoying and time consuming!

My LaserJet Pro MFP M125nw is on Wi-Fi to a wireless router and its normal IP address there is 10.0.0.5. This is the port address in Devices and Printers and (sometimes) shows as such on the printer display.

However it has a nasty habit of defaulting to an external address 169.254........ or not showing an IP address at all. Why does it do this?

As far as I can I've disabled HP Web Services, Wireless Direct, AirPrint, HP Smart Install.

To communicate from a browser I have to use whichever IP address currently shows on the printer. However some applications sometimes (eg WordPerfect sometimes) still print to the printer irrespective of which IP address shows (Note: "Always print to this device, even if the IP address changes" is not ticked on the port details for 10.0.0.5. There is no port for 169.254.......). If I send something to print when the printer is Initialising after being turned on then the 10.0.0.5 will show.

This is all very confusing and so far I haven't been able to establish exactly what is going on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I suggest you set a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router. Move the printer farther away from the wireless router.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
The 169.254 .x.x address means your printer is not connected to your router. With a 10.0.0.5 address what equipment do you have? Please let us know make and model and how it is connected. Do you have a modem and router or a gateway (combo) unit?
HP Recommended

Sabretooth,

I've just used my trick of sending a print to the printer while it is still Initialising and it is showing 10.0.0.5.

The wireless router, which is within 3 feet of the printer, is a Surecom (it does not have a WPS button). It is linked by ethernet cable to an e-con ADSL modem. This is cheap kit available here in Turkey that I've had for years. My laptop sits between them.

This set-up works with no trouble for this laptop and also one up stairs used for on-line TV, and also with a Canon inkjet which sits next to the router.

The HP software set-up has been known to find whichever IP address is currently on the printer.

HP Recommended
I suggest you set a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router. Move the printer farther away from the wireless router.
HP Recommended

Sabretooth,

Many thanks for suggesting your fixes.

However I'll stick to my workround and not muck about with the printer's settings any more. Once 10.0.0.5 is in the printer even when the printer sleeps it stays there.

Things only seemed to get this bad after Windows 10 was loaded and I updated the firmware and drivers for the printer.

Having said that, you may have spotted the problem I've had getting the printer to work under Windows 10 and earlier after a Windows 7 update (other threads). They turned out, after much input from HP people, to be simple, but not obvious solutions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.