Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 4720
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I have recently purchased an all-in-one HP DJ 4720 and have the following problem when printing documents. The left margin is nearly cut off and the right margin is way too wide. What could be the problem here? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @TXA,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I understand you are having printing issues on your HP Desk Jet 4720 printer, I'll be really glad to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Is it printing crooked, or is it just shifting the page further right then it should?

How is the printer connected to the computer?

Do you have this problem from one program, or does it happen from all programs?

What program are you printing from?

What happens when you print from Notepad or Word pad?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Perform a hard reset on the printer.

* With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

* Remove USB cable, if present.

* Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

* Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

* Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

* Now try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

Please check the settings, using this guide - Click here

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try Resetting the Printing System (Mac) - Click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Biswajeet. In response to your questions:

- no, the printing is not crooked, just the page appears to shift to the right;

- it is a wireless connection

- both pdfs (through PDF Reader) and emails (through Mailplane) have this issue; besides, even the test page that I printed during installation had the same problem;

- PDF Reader X and Mailplane, the same problem exists (although to a smaller extent) when printing MS Word docs.

I will try the various workarounds that you suggested to see if it resolves the issue. 

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, unplugging and replugging solution did not work, neither did the complete printer reset on Mac.

HP Recommended

Hi @TXA,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you are still having the issue with the Left margin cut off when printing documents, Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you to resolve this issue.

Let's try to print a test page and check how it goes.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Load paper into the input tray.

3. Press and hold the Power button, press the Cancel button (three times, press the Start Copy Color button (eight times, and then release the Power button.

The printer feeds one page slowly. The printer might make some noise for approximately one minute.

4. Wait until the page is out of the printer before you remove it.

5. Examine the test page.

Please share the picture of the test page for further assistance.

Have you tried to make a photocopy, If yes, what was the results, could you please share the details? 

If nothing works, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.