Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I've got about 80 printers set up in WJA and working fine. However two LJ M602 printers have "Device Communication Error" messages, and any attempt to get details in the Config tab result in "Error reading device settings. Empty values will be displayed" pop-up messages.

WJA is 10.3 SR8

M602 is updated to firmware revision 2304070_439665 dated 20150218

Am fully able to access the EWS via web browser - network is not the problem

I've reset the EWS and JetAdmin passwords (again, have full web access to printer), doesn't change WJA errors

Also reset the SMNP 1/2 community, no change

Normally we disable certain network protocols on the printer, but for fun I re-enabled ALL of them (including WS-Discovery) to remove that possibility. No change.

I've deleted the printer from WJA inventory and re-discovered it. No change.

I've select Refresh Selection (full) - no change.

If I attempt to Update Credentials on that printer in WJA I get the message that "None of the selected devices require new credentials".

Attempts to modify settings of the printer in WJA result in the "Device Communication Error" warning.

I have two M602 printers with this issue. Two other M602 printers are working just fine (same firmware).

Scratching my head here. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was experiencing the same issue on over 80 of our M603s.  I finally located someone very helpful at HP that indicated it was a certificate issue.  They made a change to remove SSL v3 from the web jetadmin communications, so the private self-generated certificate should be using SHA1 or greater rather than MD5, but there appears to still be an issue with that certificate getting generated correctly.

You can tell if you are experiencing the same issue by going to the web page of the server, Network, Authorization, Certificates.  View the certificate and if the Signature Algorith begins with md5 this may be the problem.

To resolve,  go back to Certificates and select Configure.  Select Create New Self-Signed certificate, and then click Finish. 

While this was a manual process and has to be done on each printer, it resolved the issue in every instance.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your post and for the specifics you offer. 

There are a few other troubleshooting steps you can try:

1.  Ensure that the devices are not in sleep mode --especially deep sleep mode (aka 1 watt mode).  If they are going to sleep frequently, that could cause an problem in some environments & you may need to alter how quickly they sleep --and how deeply.

2.  You may print out the configuration pages from one of the units that is working and one that is not and compare them to see if there are configuration differences in the EWS

3.  You mention that you deleted and re-added the device and enabled WS Discovery.  These are the right steps.  Did you do them in this order?  enable WS Discovery on the device, delete the device from, HP Web Jetadmin, and then rediscover the device

4.  If none of these things work, it might be useful to know the following so that further troubleshooting can be done:

- Are the 2 printers that don't work on the same network and using the same configurations as the printers that do work?

- Do you have FIPS enabled on the server hosting WJA?

Thanks

Although I am an HP employee I speak for myself

If I resolved your issue, please hit Kudos

HP Recommended

Thank you for the tips!

1. Devices are not in sleep mode. They are actually pretty busy and if I look at them in EWS they are not in sleep mode.

2. Config pages for comparison. Good call, actually kind of ashamed I didn't think of that first. I guess we like to stay electronic as much as possible...

3. Yes - enabled protocols, then deleted and re-discovered.

4. Printers are on the same subnet, with the same general IP information (gateway, DNS, etc.). All printers have IP network set manually and I've reviewed those settings several times because it was an obvious place to start. Other printers on the same subnet are working just fine in WJA. I'll need to compare the configuration (see #2 above) between the working and non-working printers and I'll do that right away.

FIPS was and is disabled on the WJA system.

Honestly I feel like it is a credential issue - like WJA is still holding on to old credentials for those printers even though I've attempted over and over again to reset it. I'm thinking about deleting them from WJA again and giving it a week or two before I try again, just to make sure WJA clears out any data about those printers.

Good advice all around, keep it coming! Thanks again...

HP Recommended

Comparison of printed configurations between the 2 working and 2 non-working M602 printers do not show anything out of the ordinary. The only differences are ones you would expect (S/N, IP address, etc.) - all configuration options are the same. This is for the General Configuration and the JetDirect Configuration.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks again for your detailed response.  I referenced Config pages, but what I really meant was Menu Maps.  Can you print and do a comparison?

THanks.

Although I work for HP, I speak for myself. 

HP Recommended

There is also a way to clear WJA out if needed.  If menu maps don't yield any special settings. we can consider that.  If that is the case, it might be best to log a support call because it involves scripting & it would probably be best to step through that carefully with a support engineer.

Thanks

Although I am an HP employee, I speak for myself. 

HP Recommended

We are having the exact same problem with SR8 and firmware.  We also see it on the CP5525.  We need help with the problem.  We don't want to roll out the firmware without understanding what is going on.

HP Recommended

As a work around to this problem, I had been upgraded my printers through the web browser.  I just experienced a problem with Web JetAdmin recognizing the upgrade.  Like it has failed recognizing updated printers through WJA, it also fails to recognize them after the browse method.

I wish I had never update to SR8.  We have over 1,000 printers.

HP Recommended

I am reporting that WJA did pick up the upgrade to this particular M603dn after I deleted and readded it.  I am hopeful we can use this workaround (updating via brower and FTP) until SR8 is patched.

It only restored one printer. Another fails to come back.

Please fix.

Thank you

HP Recommended

I finally got some time to work on this again. We added another M602 printer, which initially worked with WJA. I then updated the firmware to the latest and it promptly stopped communicating with WJA (the update was from WJA, not via web admin). I really wish I took note of which previous firmware was installed prior to the update...

I now have three M602 printers on the same firmware that will no longer communicate with WJA. I have one M603 printer on the same firmware version that works just fine. I'm wondering if there is some sort of bug going on in WJA or that firmware version.

Based on the comment from erruve, above, I attempted to re-update the firmware via the web admin console (instead of WJA). This didn't fix it. I also attempted a "reset to factory" which made no difference.

All four (one working, 3 non-working) devices have the same firmware, the same settings, the same options, the same SNMP information.

The only thing I haven't tried is rolling back to a previous firmware, mainly because I haven't had the time or energy to try to locate one. I've spent so much time on this problem...

WJA.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.