Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 5 (3,782 Views)
Accepted Solution

MAC address

Can someone please inform me where I find the MAC address on the HP photosmart B209a. It is supposed to be a wireless printer. I have a Netgear wireless router with MAC filtering & need in input the MAC address of the printer. I am aware on other equipment it is on a label on the product or box, but there is nothing of the sort on the printer, just serial No. Please can anyone help before I take it back....Its my 1st HP product & so far I am unimpressed.

Many Thanks from a HP newbieRobot Mad

Accepted Solution

Re: MAC address

If you print a Network Configuration Page, it'll show the MAC Address on it. Select Setup from the display, go to Network\Wireless Settings>View Network Settings\Print Network Configuration Page. Another place is to look for a white label on the back of the printer. This should usually list the MAC Address, along with your serial number.

PS: Mac filtering is really not a good way of securing your network. It's not worth the effort to setup Mac Filtering for all the devices on your network. Just make sure that your wireless network has a WPA-PSK encryption with a really strong WPA key, and this should make your network more secure.

View solution in context
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 5 (3,779 Views)

If you print a Network Configuration Page, it'll show the MAC Address on it. Select Setup from the display, go to Network\Wireless Settings>View Network Settings\Print Network Configuration Page. Another place is to look for a white label on the back of the printer. This should usually list the MAC Address, along with your serial number.

PS: Mac filtering is really not a good way of securing your network. It's not worth the effort to setup Mac Filtering for all the devices on your network. Just make sure that your wireless network has a WPA-PSK encryption with a really strong WPA key, and this should make your network more secure.

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
Top Student
Message 3 of 5 (3,762 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I did actually have a brainwave on the way to bed & remembered I had that paper, on looking I found it. The printer had the label wit the serial no but no sign of the MAC address.

I have now set it up, I have just tried to print a word doc off my laptop, with the default HP printer, now its saying Printer offline & wont print. I have benn upstairs & the printer is on. This is my 1st HP product but the 2nd HP printer I have had problems with, I can feel a return coming on.

Thanks again DexterMSmiley Mad

Provost
Message 4 of 5 (3,757 Views)

MAC filtering is just going to cause problems and offers no real security.  Read more here.

Install WPA-PSK with a strong (13+ character) passphrase and be more secure with a more reliable system.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
Top Student
Message 5 of 5 (3,704 Views)

I am finally up and running havine taken off MAC filtering. Thanks for all your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation