Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6600
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Will not print, keep getting message "missing or failed printhead." I tried restarting the printer and unplugging system for 60 seconds but did not help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You need a new printer as you have done the reset. (link)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You need a new printer as you have done the reset. (link)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I have a 6600 that has been quite solid - but recently I went on holiday for 3 weeks, and being a person that cares about the environment, I unplugged my printer while I was away. When I returned, I now get the "missing or failed printhead". The HP website is worthless about the "unplug for 60 seconds" "fix" - they might as well have said, "Wave a dead parrott over your head" - same result.

The automation (on the printer itself) that plays shows a lever that can disconnect the printhead from the carrier bar.  This is bogus also, as there is no lever to disconnect the print cartridge holder (which holds the printheads).

I am surprised by this, and by HP's answer of "throw it away and buy a new one". Is this how HP is going "green" - to have us throw a perfectly good printer out just because a printhead is clogged or needs replaced?  Shame on HP.

I did find on Alibaba a Chinese website that claims to sell a replacement printhead for between $10-$12. (I live in the U.S., so my Chinese is rusty - it could have said, "dead parrotts for HP support" for all I know. )

Being an engineer by trade, I will attempt to dismantle the printer and clean the printheads the best I can - then put it all back together and see what happens - I will post my result.

HP Recommended

Brand new 7520e just set up along with software correctly installed with a windows 7 system.  The error message is Printhead missing, not detected or incorrectly installed.  Way past the warranty period and bought at Best Buy.  Fixable?  Can the Geek squad fix?

HP Recommended

@Mike1014, take a look at the cleaning steps in this HP doc.

HP Recommended

I can't use my Hp Office Jet Pro 8610 printer. It was working until I ran out of ink. I replaced the Black ink cartridge and now I get the message Missing or Failed Printhead.

HP Recommended

Were you ever able to correct the printer head problem on your oj6600 (posted in 2016)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.