Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have to shutdown the laptop and reboot to clear the print queue... When the queue clears, it goes offline again... It happens to my wife on her laptop too... Both laptops run Windows 7. I've had the printer since 3/10 so this is new. It just started a week or so ago. Why would this happen all of a sudden? No new software has been added...

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem except only on one laptop?  Any solutions found?

HP Recommended

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and have been having the same problem.

The printer (Officejet Pro 8500A 910) will work for about 30 minutes and then a print job will get stuck in the queue.

This happens whether I'm wired or wireless. It also happens from my wife's laptop (also Windows 7).

The only thing that fixes it is powering off the printer, clearing the queue and then powering on.

I just swapped out my printer for a replacement unit (via Warranty). The problem is still occuring.

I have updated all the drivers and run the diagnostic tool. It says that everything is upto date and working well; but its not. 

I'm at my wits end and can't think of any more trouble shooting paths. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Have you tried deleting all versions of the printer in the Devices and Printers. Use the HP add a Printer wizard( or install CD) and re-add the printer on the port you want...(USB or wireless). I think that is where the problem is.

I am fighting this issue for a client. I think the problem is connected to how the printer is initially set up.

The problem started when they changed out their router and the wireless printing quit. I told them that most likely the new router had assigned new IP addresses to the printers and that is exactly what happened. I created new TCP/IP port for the printers and they worked, but then they started going offline.

what the client was doing as a quick fix (also they aren't telling me this) was to use the HP add a printer wizard and adding a second printer using the USB port and it would work fine. I would come back see a second version of the printer with (copy1) on it. I would make changes...i set up static IP's...made sure IP's were outside the range the router was using. but I was simply changing the port from USB to TCP/IP thru the printer properties and the printer would initially work, but would eventually go offline.

When the client was creating the second version of the printer to print thru USB it would work fine and didn't go offline. That's why i think deleting the printer completely and then re-adding it thru the HP setup utility fixes the issue.

HP Recommended

I've deleted the printer and added it back in. I have a static IP address for it. I just deleted the printer and added it back in. I sent an email and a test print to the printer and it's qued because the printer is off line! I just added it. If I shut down my laptop and start up again, during the bootup at the log in screen for Windows 7, the prints come out of the printer. This is so confusing because everything has been working properly for almost 2 years. All of a sudden, it's goofed up. It's also happening on my wifes laptop. She's also running Windows 7. Could it be a Windows 7 problem? This is getting crazy!!

HP Recommended

ok...that's strange...have you tried putting the Printer back Online...If you don't know you can do this by opening the Printer Queue and then click Printer at the top left. In the drop down you will see  Use Printer Offline.  and it's probably checked. Click that and the printer is back online and should print. the question then is ...will the printer stay online.

HP Recommended

That doesn't work because the "use printer off-line" field is not checked. As soon as I boot up and the prints are released, I look at the printer status and it's offline!! It's offline after bootup. I have no idea why this is happening.

HP Recommended

ok...well i hate to keep bringing up stuff you may have already done, but have you done a full shut down on the printer...i mean disconnect power completely for 30 seconds or so and then power it  back up.

HP Recommended

if you're interested you can call me. I'm a trained computer tech. I will walk thru this problem with you, because i would like to know the answer too. if you're interested..call my cell

[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

John,

I've got a very similar issue to the original posting.  Do you have a moment to help me also?  I'm using a Mac.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.