Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 25 (11,084 Views)
Accepted Solution

My HP Photosmart C4680 has been possessed by the devil

My touchscreen is currently showing that it is scanning, even though it is not and I have not asked it to. When I try to reboot it, it comes on to the main menu for about 45 seconds and then it cycles to the scanning menu, then it asks to insert a memory card, and finally it goes to this scanning indicator.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software. It shows online on my  Window XP control panel, but unless I catch it  before it starts this, it will not print. The only way to stop it is to pull the power cord and wait and replug it. But it just does it again and again.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Accepted Solution

Re: My HP Photosmart C4680 has been possessed by the devil

Concerning the reply by CamelJockey on May 20, 2011, regarding the bad capacitor, I just sat down and created this user account to make this post for the express purpose of verifying everything that was contained in the reply.

In a nutshell, I had the same exact problem.

Bad cap.

Followed the instructions, opened the C4680 up, and there sat the the little 330μF 6.3v TEAPO capacitor, with an ominously bulging top in plain sight. All the other capacitors (little can-looking things) had nice flat tops with zero curve or bulge in them and there was no problem whatsoever in identifying the odd man out.

Snapped off the offending capacitor, drove down to my local mom and pop electronics supply store that's been there for the last four decades, and got a replacement that differed only in voltage (10v).

Went to Sears and bought a nice Craftsman 150/230 Watt soldering gun (which came complete with some nice tin/silver solder, extra tips, and a pick that proved indispensable (the wires on the new cap were a hair wider than the ones on the original, and the holes left from the removal of the bad cap needed the weenciest bit of reaming out), came home, and made the replacement in short order, fired up the printer, and it worked PERFECTLY!

Hallelujah!

My hat is off to CamelJockey for the flawless piece of advice.

And for everyone else out there who might be afraid to pick up the torx screwdriver and open up their printer, do not be afraid. Work slow, work with care, mind wires that need to be disconnected (the ones with little plastic plugs are pretty straightforward and the flat ones simply pull out, and push back in) and in no time, you'll have the little circuit board in hand, with the offending capacitor at your mercy, ready to be removed and replaced.

If you've never soldered before, no worries, it's not that hard. Mind the hot tool, be aware that you want to place the heat from the tip of the soldering gun ONLY INTO THE WIRE going to the capacitor down by its roots where it dives into the circuit board, and be patient for a minute or three, resting the hot tip of the soldering gun on that wire, giving the heat time to work it's way into things sufficiently to melt the solder and release and then reattach the two wires, one at a time. Work with needle-nose pliers. Be gentle. Be patient. Maybe practice on a dead piece of equipment you took apart first, just to kinda get the hang of things. Google up some YouTube tutorials if you're still not quite sure or confident, and in no time you'll be good to go.

The entire cost of the job, brand new soldering gun included, is WAY less than the cost of a new printer, so what are you waiting for?

Get going!

Once again, a thousand and one thanks to CamelJockey and happy soldering to one and all!

View solution in context
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 25 (11,050 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi dixie0511

Have you tried to using the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02114802

Ciara

I am an HP employee.
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
Message 3 of 25 (10,926 Views)

Just did the repair. It was a bad capacitor on the logic board (brand TEAPO). There is only one to replace on this printer, and it will probably look curved on the top (indicating it is blown).  It's 330uF 6.3V, but I pu in a slightly bigger one (16V, all they had in 330uF) and it works perfect now. It's an easy fix, if you're not afraid to solder one component. It will cost you all of 60c worth of components. (and a soldering kit if you don't already have one)

Open the scanner lid and the ink replacement door. Reach behind the control panel and gently push a clip to release the panel. It will reveal a hidden torx screw. There are four screws total to remove the top, and you can use a torx bit, or if none handy, the right size allen key. 

Once you get the top part lifted from the rest of the printer, you must carefully pull out the few connectors that attach to the logic board from their sockets. Some are just ribbon connectors, and some wire connectors. Put the top part aside. 

Identify the bad capacitor on the logic board by checking the top surface. It's a thin one, green in color that says TEAPO on it and if it is indeed the defective component it should feel curved on the top. 

Remove all the other connectors to the board, and unscrew the 3 torx screws to extract the board from the printer. 

To unsolder the bad capacitor, it may be easier to first snap it off so you can extract each lead with pliers one at a time while applying heat on the soldering side. 

Observe the polarity, negative side (identified by the minus signs on the new capacitor) on the shaded side on the board. 

Solder the new capacitor, clip off excess leads, put everything back together. Your'e done!   Good luck!

Student
Message 4 of 25 (10,809 Views)

Hi,

I asked my wife to describe what was happening to my Photosmart C4680 because I could not say it concisely. She immediately said "possessed"

That is exactly what is happening to me, phantom scanning mostly. sometimes phantom copying and often "no memory card detected" (which is actually true because there is no memory card, but who asked the **bleep** thing).

I'm a Mac, any scanner utilities for macs? 

The only thing that i can actually do is occasionally scan so Im not sure that will even help, but I'm willing to try.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regents Professor
Message 5 of 25 (10,803 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi DrDaaave

I came across the following link that may help. Does it seem like the printer is going into 'sleep mode'?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00059994

A Photosmart product might enter sleep mode while it reads the memory card. The card reader LED light and the display screen might turn off, even though the product is still reading the card. To resolve this issue, press any button on the product control panel to reactivate the display.

It looks like the Scan Diagnostic Utility is not available for Macs, see Step One in the link below.
NOTE: The HP Scan Diagnostic Utility might not be available for all HP products, particularly older products. It is available for most products, however, and in most languages. This tool is available only for Windows operating systems. The tool is not available for Mac OS X operating systems.

Hope this is of some help
Ciara
I am an HP employee.
Regents Professor
Message 6 of 25 (10,742 Views)

Hi folks

Just wondering if this issue is now resolved? Or is there anything further I can help with?

Ciara

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Message 7 of 25 (10,462 Views)

I am having the exact same problem, with a PC running Windows 7.  I ran the diagnostic utility and it told me that the driver was missing or corrupt.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, but the problem persists.  I ran the utility again and it still says the driver is missing or corrupt.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tutor
Message 8 of 25 (10,321 Views)

Concerning the reply by CamelJockey on May 20, 2011, regarding the bad capacitor, I just sat down and created this user account to make this post for the express purpose of verifying everything that was contained in the reply.

In a nutshell, I had the same exact problem.

Bad cap.

Followed the instructions, opened the C4680 up, and there sat the the little 330μF 6.3v TEAPO capacitor, with an ominously bulging top in plain sight. All the other capacitors (little can-looking things) had nice flat tops with zero curve or bulge in them and there was no problem whatsoever in identifying the odd man out.

Snapped off the offending capacitor, drove down to my local mom and pop electronics supply store that's been there for the last four decades, and got a replacement that differed only in voltage (10v).

Went to Sears and bought a nice Craftsman 150/230 Watt soldering gun (which came complete with some nice tin/silver solder, extra tips, and a pick that proved indispensable (the wires on the new cap were a hair wider than the ones on the original, and the holes left from the removal of the bad cap needed the weenciest bit of reaming out), came home, and made the replacement in short order, fired up the printer, and it worked PERFECTLY!

Hallelujah!

My hat is off to CamelJockey for the flawless piece of advice.

And for everyone else out there who might be afraid to pick up the torx screwdriver and open up their printer, do not be afraid. Work slow, work with care, mind wires that need to be disconnected (the ones with little plastic plugs are pretty straightforward and the flat ones simply pull out, and push back in) and in no time, you'll have the little circuit board in hand, with the offending capacitor at your mercy, ready to be removed and replaced.

If you've never soldered before, no worries, it's not that hard. Mind the hot tool, be aware that you want to place the heat from the tip of the soldering gun ONLY INTO THE WIRE going to the capacitor down by its roots where it dives into the circuit board, and be patient for a minute or three, resting the hot tip of the soldering gun on that wire, giving the heat time to work it's way into things sufficiently to melt the solder and release and then reattach the two wires, one at a time. Work with needle-nose pliers. Be gentle. Be patient. Maybe practice on a dead piece of equipment you took apart first, just to kinda get the hang of things. Google up some YouTube tutorials if you're still not quite sure or confident, and in no time you'll be good to go.

The entire cost of the job, brand new soldering gun included, is WAY less than the cost of a new printer, so what are you waiting for?

Get going!

Once again, a thousand and one thanks to CamelJockey and happy soldering to one and all!

Regents Professor
Message 9 of 25 (10,294 Views)

Hi Miklos_Chapin,

Glad to hear this solved your issue.

I'll bear this tip in mind if I hear of anyone else with a similar problem

Smiley Happy

Ciara

I am an HP employee.
Top Student
Message 10 of 25 (10,003 Views)

Having same problem.  How did you get to the inside board with the capacitor?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation