Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Does anyone know why this would happen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi community,

I understand the printer prints photos red. Let's try some steps to help you.

✔️ First, check if your drivers working fine: Software and Driver Downloads

✔️ Make sure you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - Black Ink Not Printing and Other Print Quality Issues

✔️Clean the color ink cartridge up to 2 times and print a test page to check the result.

🛑If the issue persists, I'm afraid this is a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

Thanks,

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi - Typically this will happen when you're out of one of the other colors of ink and the printer is using the magenta cartridge for most everything.  I'd check the cartridge ink levels.  What printer do you have?  What OS are you using?

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

How can you tell which color ink is low?  I'm using the lexmark pinnacle 901 and has 4 different color ink cartridge and the printer is showing none is low?

thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi - This is a Hewlett-Packard forum, you'll want to go to the Lexmark website to find support for your product.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I cannot believe even the HP people cannot give you the correct answer, but clearly they cannot.  This happens to me also whenever I try to print out certain files with graphics...they come out with a solid red ink coating over the entire graphic.  It has nothing to do with ink cartridges and everything to do with the way the printer is programmed/designed...but how to stop that from happening...I have no clue.  I did get it to work right once a long time ago but I forget what I did to make it print the graphic correctly.

I am trying to print something now and having the same problem and it is very frustrating.  Cannot find an answer online either.  (at least not the true, correct answer)

HP Recommended

What did you find out? Did you ever remember what you did to make it not do red? I want to print pictures for a collage for Christmas. Hope you know how to fix this. God Bless

@ADad wrote:

I cannot believe even the HP people cannot give you the correct answer, but clearly they cannot.  This happens to me also whenever I try to print out certain files with graphics...they come out with a solid red ink coating over the entire graphic.  It has nothing to do with ink cartridges and everything to do with the way the printer is programmed/designed...but how to stop that from happening...I have no clue.  I did get it to work right once a long time ago but I forget what I did to make it print the graphic correctly.

I am trying to print something now and having the same problem and it is very frustrating.  Cannot find an answer online either.  (at least not the true, correct answer)

HP Recommended

Hi - Not sure which printer you have, so I'll give you a few general troubleshooting steps.

- Make sure that none of the ink cartridges are empty.  If the cyan or yellow run out, you'll get a definite red/pink hue to the printouts.

- Verify that the paper type setting in whatever application you're using, matches the paper type you're using.  From personal experience, I've seen red hues to everything when I've had the wrong paper type selected.

You might also run through the steps in this document to help narrow down the problem.

Hope that helps.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
it is the paper and size--i put mine back to letter size and regular paper instead of photo paper--got great pictures and right sizes too! I bet if you check you have size as 4 x 6 or something and paper as photo--change it back. Thanks and God Bless kudos to last poster on this page--he posted a link that explains it--hoot hoot!
HP Recommended

Can anyone help? my HP printer F2280 was fine printing photos, but now they all come out red over all the picture, documents and other printing turns out fine. Can anybody help!. Deka22.

HP Recommended

Change your paper to plain paper and your size and anything else that is not normal. Glossy paper chosen prints all my stuff in red

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.