Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I created a 9x12 document using OpenOffice Draw.  I set up a form on Windows for this paper size.  I load Tray 1 with 9x12 paper.  The printer asks me to select the size.  I choose "Custom" the only appropriate one. I am kind of surprised this selection does not ask me to give the meaasurements for Custom.  When I attempt to print the document  with printer settings to the 9x12 form, I get the message on the printer: " Paper Size Mismatch: The paper size detected by the printer in Tray 1 does not match the paper size selected (Custom) for the print job....". This says to me the "Custom" selection on the paper size is not setup properly,  or the paper is not loaded properly or its size not sensed properly.  I spent over an hour with HP support who messed around with the drivers and settings on the Windows side, but couldn't resolve my problem.  Correction: I was able to print the document properly once, but the other dozens of times, it failed.  Otherwise, it's a nice printer, but I am about ready to return it if I can't print my 9x12 documents.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Hammerklavier

Commentary / Ideas

Yellow_Arrow_Bullet_2.jpgThe printer software may not be able to translate / use the print settings in OpenOffice Draw.  This is a guess; I don't use the software.

If you can save your OpenOffice Draw document into a standard format, you can use other programs to print the file.  

For example:

How can I save a Draw document into a standard file format (BMP, JPG, ...)?

You can print a .jpg file using standard Windows programs which can make use of custom sizes that show up in your Printing Preferences.

If it is possible, your might save the document as a PDF file.  Doing so will allow you to use Adobe Reader DC to print the file.  Should it become necessary, the PDF file can be printed as an image.  (Admittedly, This is the Long way 'round to getting the drawing onto paper.)

Yellow_Arrow_Bullet_2.jpgThe template you used to create the form has an impact on the selection parameters.

The Specifications indicate the printer can create Custom Sizes.

When you create the Custom form, use a "starting" Media of (or at least close to) the type of paper on which you will print the file.  

Why use a template of "same kind of paper"?  Custom Forms include the settings to change the size of the paper, but not the "type" of paper.

For example:

If you are planning on printing on Photo paper, select your form template from a "Photo" Media that is close in size to the "end size" of your new form.

If your paper is "card stock" like that which makes an Index Card, select one of the Index card templates (assuming such is available) in your "Forms on" list

Custom_Form_Index_Card_9x12.JPG

Creating Custom Paper Sizes

Remember to Restart your computer after you create the form to make it more likely the new form will be added to your Size list in Printing Preferences.

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Preferences

Section Custom Paper Sizes

and

Dragon Document - Help, Suggestions, and Examples:

Print - Programs_and_Methods

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response.  Sorry to say converting first to a pdf did not help.  Also I tried printing a simple Notepad txt file, using the 9x12 form on Windows, and "Custom" on the printer, with the same result: Paper mismatch.

What does Custom size on the printer mean - given that I am not provided the opportunity to specify the actual size?

HP Recommended

I also recreated the form based on letter, and rebooted the computer - to no avail

HP Recommended

@Hammerklavier

Rats.

Printer:

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer

The installed Full Feature Software (printer program) is capable of reading, accepting, and using the Custom Paper Sizes.

Both PDF Readers (Adobe Reader DC / Foxit Readerare able to print PDF files and both programs are able to print PDF files as an image.

At the least, creating the custom form from a "Plain Paper" template (as opposed to using another Media (Index card) and printing the file onto the plain-paper custom size paper should work.

Several programs as outlined in Print - Programs_and_Methods are able to make use of the printer software (and custom sizes as available).  Making use of tray assignment (Source = Tray 1) as opposed to leaving the setting to Automatic tells the printer where to expect the paper.  

Reminder:  Consumer grade printers only accept plain paper (of specific sizes) in Tray 2 -- always use Tray 1 for custom Media and sizes.  See printer User Guide, Page 15.

The User Guide outlines the steps for using special or Custom-size paper > Page 34

All of these ideas do assume you are using the programs and software on the computer.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

Hammerklavier wrote:

What does Custom size on the printer mean - given that I am not provided the opportunity to specify the actual size?

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

I cannot definitively answer this question; I don't have a way to test.

For the moment, I am out of ideas.

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Ok, I tried uploading my 9x12 PDF document to my iPhone and tried printing using AirPrint and HP ePrint. Neither program gives me an option to specify the tray and the print is routed to Tray 2, which doesn't accept custom sizes and so is printed on letter size, which is useless.

Otherwise, I like the printer but am about ready to return it.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.