Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3630
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I just bought this thing and when I try to print, it says there is a paper jam and E4 is flashing on the display. There is no paper jam. Going through the suggested fixes [fix paper jam, reinstall drivers] doesn't help. Why should I have to reinstall drivers that I just installed?

Also, it will not scan. It says that the scanner is being used by something else. Absurd.

I would like to use this freaking thing. It cost money.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @walford,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you are unable to use your recently purchased HP Deskjet 3630, you are getting a 'Paper Jam E4' error message. You have checked for a jam and reinstalled the drivers with no success. Let's go ahead and try a Hard Reset:

1. Unplug all cables and memory cards from the printer. Unplug the power cord, directly from the back of the printer while the printer is still turned on.

2. Unplug the other end of the cord from the power source.

3. If there is a power module on the power cord, disconnect one end and reconnect it.

4. After 60 seconds, plug the cord directly into a wall outlet (not a surge protector or battery backup as they can cause the printer to lose basic functionality over time).

5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.

6. The printer should automatically power back up. If it doesn't, turn it on with the power button.

7. Try making a photocopy (if your printer is an all-in-on printer) before connecting any other cables to the printer.

8. Connect any other needed cables to the printer.

Are you still getting the error message, if so, I would like you to continue here: An 'E4' Error Displays (Paper Jam), this one focuses more on the cleaning of the hardware than the software.

Let me know the outcome, I will watch for your reply.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

After posting this, I found a number for HP support. After trying what you suggested and more, the Tech Rep informed me that there must be an hardware issue and suggested I trade it in for a new one and he would call me back at an agreed-upon time to set it up.

Immediately the replacement device was able to print and scan. The Tech Rep then spent time via remote access to my computer to make sure that it would completely function and operate wirelessly.

I more than got my money's worth and am now quite happy with my HP printer.

[Even without the hardware issues, sometimes a computer's firewalls, anti-virus and anti-malware applications may prevent your computer from communicating with external devices.]

HP Recommended

I bought a new 3635 and have the same issue......awaiting service engineer to turn up......:-( 

This appears to be a common problem across all regions 

It creates so much hassle for customers to try all in the manual and then to be told we will replace it......what about all the inconvenince we suffest as customers ? 

Did you get this problem again after repalcement was arranged ? 

HP Recommended
I have an hp360 and it is doing the same thing! I received it as a present 4 months ago and it has been doing this for weeks I've tried everything and even called Hp for help!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.